End user build

Tapio Aura Kelloniemi persistent.spam at thack.org
Thu May 11 11:47:13 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:09:37PM -0600, Kevin Fries wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 20:00 +0200, M.Canales.es wrote:
> > El Jueves, 11 de Mayo de 2006 19:55, Kevin Fries escribió:
> >
> > > Has anyone knowledge of a resource that will assist with building my
> > > "MOM" machine using nALFS?
> >
> > What is a "MOM" machine?
>
> A machine so simple, you can hand it to your mother to use.  No geek
> stuff like compilers, and complex command lines.

Well, bash is absolutely needed on almost every system and command-line won't
hurt your mother, if she doesn't have to use it. THe absence of bash or gcc
will hurt you when you have to do some administration work... I recommend not
removing any base programs from an end-user machine, even when they are not
used in day-to-day operation. Only embedded should do that. If it is necessary
to have no logins and passwords, you probably should have something like this
in one of your boot scripts:
su - mom -c startx

So I recommend installing an easy to use desktop environment. If you
absolutely have to prevent access to certain features, you should probably use
locking features of the desktop (at least GNOME supports locking the terminal
emulator and GNOME's internal command prompt).

What comes to automation tools, there are currently very few choices. For
myself I have used some nasty scripts (a framework called shitbuild...)
which will be replaced in the near future with a more elegant ruby program.
nALFS is an option if you plan to waste weeks writing and updating profiles.
jhalfs handles the LFS part almost out of the box, but it does not currently
help with the BLFS portion.

--
Tapio