A few points noted when running jhalfs-X SVN

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Thu May 11 14:31:54 PDT 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Jueves, 11 de Mayo de 2006 21:29, Alan Lord escribió:

> Looks like a hardware failure or a connexion lost that may hang wget, not
> jhalfs itself.

It definitely wasn't a h/w issue or timeout. The first time I ran this
it got "everything" and it ALWAYS stalled ONLY after successfully
retrieving the larger files. Anything less than [what seemed to be]
around 2Mb was fine, the script just carried straight on working to the
next file... It was a bit weird and I guess - like I said it was a
memory thing. I was running from within X in an xterm and had Firefox
open etc. so maybe it was just getting bogged down.

>> 2. Attempting to download tcl-8.4.13 fails (Is this because the book has
>> a "?download" at the end of url?????)
> I will try to fix it ASAP. Thanks for the report.

No problem. Glad I found something "useful".

> In jhalfs $BUILDDIR in using in the config file, that is mapped to $MOUNT_PT
> on the Makefile, an lastly it is mapped to $LFS or $HLFS.
>
> But looks that there is few places where the mapping was forgotten :-/
>
> That need be revised and simplified.

As above.

> I suspect that before running jhalfs you has /home/lfs but not the lfs user
> and group.

Spot on. Good catch. I always keep /home as a separate partition so it
does have /home/lfs and yes, the user/group were not defined.

> Could we to do a better test?
>
> The chown of $(MOUNT_PT)/tools is done at the same time that the lfs user and
> group creation. If the user isn't created and don't exist, the chown command
> do nothing.

Ahhhh that explains a lot.

Thanks for the great work you guys are doing on what is an excellent
tool. With the optimisations and ability to build {C,H,L}FS and
hopefully BLFS too this is just what the doctor ordered :-)

Alan