BLFS support in jhalfs

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 16 10:59:06 PDT 2006

Hi,

A good BLFS support is the big pending issue for jhalfs, and the most waited
feature. Current implementation creates a not very user-friendly Makefile and
broken build-scripts for several packages, plus a lot of other bugs. I don't
want that code in jhalfs-1.0.

I'm thinking on a method to can generate sub-books to extract from the scripts
and Makefile needed to build only the package, plus its dependencies,
selected on command line. That method should to allow build BLFS packages
step-by-step in a linear way.

For example, for a desktop system, in the first run the user could to build
Xorg+dependencies, on a second run KDE+dependencies, then
OpenOficce+dependencies. Of course, on each run already satisfied
dependencies must be skipped.

To implement that, specific BLFS code not related with {C,H,}LFS code must be
developed. IMHO, ./blfs should be a separate script and all references to
BLFS should be removed from master.sh and common/* files.

But implementing that is a huge task due that the book should be parsed
forward to solve dependencies. I'm not yet sure what tool, XSL or a bash
script, is the best to create such sub-books and how many time we will need
to develop the code.

On any case, I proposse to remove all current BLFS code from trunk and start
working on a new implementation on the experimental branch, based on the
above build method or on any other build method to be propossed and
discussed.