abort/resume package builds could be a bit more controlled

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 27 15:47:04 PDT 2006

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 04:38:29PM -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> >Well, that won't work because then there's nothing to determine how to
> >possibly remove any previous source directory for the next package.
> >Hrm..., I need to think this through a bit more...
>
> What do you mean by that? Why would /tmp/unpacked need to remain when
> the source and/or build directories have been removed already?

We don't store the name of the unpacked source directory anywhere as
static data. How do you know what directory vim unpacks as otherwise?
What we do is something like this:

cd $(SRC); tar -xvf `ls -t $(1) | head -n1` > /tmp/unpacked

That unpacks the source directory and spits out the name of the
directory it just unpacked to /tmp/unpacked.

So, if we want to remove any possible source directories before we start
building a package, and we're not going to either unpack the directory
first or store that static data somewhere, how are we going to know what
directory to remove?

One possible solution is to keep that information in the LFS book for
any package that doesn't do the default of pkgname-vers. Tcl and vim
come to mind. And as Chris already commented in another thread, having
that information in the book as an entity could be useful for other
purposes as well. See the current vim instructions.

--
JH