Verbose commands

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 27 17:11:18 PDT 2006

The following constructs will work. This is how it will need to be
rendered in the Makefile files. Not sure where to make these changes in
the source code.

Example of chapter 6's linux-libc-headers

Old commands were rendered as follows:

@( time { $(CHROOT1) 'cd /jhalfs && source envars &&
/jhalfs/lfs-commands/chapter06/064-linux-libc-headers
 >>/jhalfs/logs/064-linux-libc-headers 2>&1' ; } )
2>>logs/064-linux-libc-headers && \

Using 'tee' we can have output on screen as well as in log files:

@( time { $(CHROOT1) 'cd /jhalfs && source envars &&
/jhalfs/lfs-commands/chapter06/064-linux-libc-headers | tee -a
/jhalfs/logs/064-linux-libc-headers 2>&1' ; } ) | tee -a
logs/064-linux-libc-headers 2>&1 && \

I'll go see if I can find the right locations in the source to make
these changes. Will send a patch in case it's deemed an acceptable way
of doing things.