jhalfs trunk

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Oct 11 11:19:58 PDT 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
> That type of extra software will be better handled when developing an
> users-friendly way to hack the scripts and Makefile for {C,H}LFS books. That
> feature in in the TODO list from many time ago, and I would to have it ready
> for jhalfs-2.1.

I see, that makes sense.

>> BTW - my build did crash once with a segfault in the progessbar.sh
>> script. I just started make again and it was fine, but if there will be
>> an error log somewhere you like to look at just say the word...
>
> Is strange that progress_bar.sh segfaults :-?

Yep, that's what I thought too.

> There is no log for the top-level Makefile output, only what you see on the
> console.

Oh well... Never mind then.

>> I'll report back in a day or two with the results of my first attempt at
>> an automated BLFS build to see how it got on.
>
> Great. I want to know users feeling about BLFS implementation.

To be honest I have struggled with the UI a bit.

I started "make" in the /blfs_root and started to select the packages
which I wanted. When I finished choosing, it told me I could only do one
at a time so went back and de-selected everything bar DHCP.

I got that to build O.K. but after that point I can't get back to the
initial menu to select any more packages. I run make and it tells me
there is nothing to do for /blfs_root!

The way I am trying to do it (probably completely wrong) takes longer
and is more convoluted than using my own simple list of packages - that
I have built up over the years and are in some sort of correct order -
and simply C&P the book's commands.

My guess is I have misunderstood the way this is supposed to work and am
just being stupid!

Enlighten me if you please :-)

Thanks

Alan