jhalfs trunk

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Oct 11 14:05:49 PDT 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Miércoles, 11 de Octubre de 2006 20:19, Alan Lord escribió:
>
>> I started "make" in the /blfs_root and started to select the packages
>> which I wanted. When I finished choosing, it told me I could only do one
>> at a time so went back and de-selected everything bar DHCP.
>
> Maybe that should be mentioned in a most prominent way in README.BLFS.

That would catch the "first timers" yes!

>> I got that to build O.K. but after that point I can't get back to the
>> initial menu to select any more packages. I run make and it tells me
>> there is nothing to do for /blfs_root!
>
> Uh :-?
>
> Is at this moment your /blfs_root/Makefile identical to the
> jhalfs/BLFS/Makefile one?
>
> I suspect that you has run ./gen_makefile.sh from inside ./blfs_root instead
> running ../gen_makefile.sh from inside /blfs_root/<package>/.

You obviously know this code very well :-). Yes, that's exactly what I
did before carefully re-reading the README.BLFS and finding that I must
run in from inside the package dir.

> We need to add a check to prevent that to happen :-/

To stop people like me who don't read the docs ;-)!

What is the best way to fix this? can I just copy a clean Makefile from
over from the original download?

>> The way I am trying to do it (probably completely wrong) takes longer
>> and is more convoluted than using my own simple list of packages - that
>> I have built up over the years and are in some sort of correct order -
>> and simply C&P the book's commands.
>
> Having pre-made cunstomized scripts and a lot of experience building BLFS
> packages the way how blfs-tool works may seems hard at first glance (and is
> hard if your first target is a package with a lot of dependencies).
>
> But honestly I can't think on other way to automatize the build resolving
> dependencies and allowing users to desviate from the default BLFS book
> commands.
>
>> My guess is I have misunderstood the way this is supposed to work and am
>> just being stupid!
>
> Or maybe README.BLFS need more in deeper information.

I think you are right here, but that will only come from people like me
trying it and finding things that are unclear. I know it is very hard to
catch these things when you are so close to it. It seems obvious to you...