Adding custom packages..

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 16 11:57:31 PDT 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Lunes, 16 de Octubre de 2006 19:35, George Boudreau escribió:
>> Manuel,
>>    Do you see any weak points in method I used to add custom packages?
>> It was a rush job and I may have missed some details.
>
> Well, I'm now trying to add TRACKING_DIR into the equation, not all of us have
> a /home/george directory ;-)
   .. All the Georges in the world do..

> About the method, the scripts generation looks good, but maybe we could to use
> for mk_CUSTOM_TOOLS something similar to what is used for mk_BLFS_TOOL. That
> could make more easy the integration with other books.
>
> Also, I would to know how that `cat tmp` magic command works :-?
   Magic? No.. it is poor programing on my end if its function is not
clear.. Sorry.

   Look at one of the scripts in /examples. When the script is 'sourced'
it writes out a block of cmds to a file name 'tmp'.

   This chunk of code:::

( cat <<- xEOFx
#!/bin/sh
set -e
cd \$PKGDIR
`cat tmp`
exit
xEOFx
) > custom-commands/scripts/$THIS_SCRIPT

   Creates the final named script, for example 950-bc, by outputting a
few header lines, inserting the file 'tmp' via cat and then writing a
footer line. I wanted a generic cmd script that we could easily modify.

>> FYI
>>    I am looking at a method of including scripts that do not use package
>> libraries and need their own Makefile entry generator.
>
> What about
>
> if [[ "x${PKG}" = "x" ]] ; then
>   no-package code (i.e, plain configuration file generation script)
> else
>   code to build a package
> fi

   Yes, I was thinking of something along those lines.