Package Management Options

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 11:00:39 PDT 2006

I've been thinking about how the paco patch is currently managed and
was trying to think how package management could be more general in
jhalfs. Unfortunately, my understanding of xsl sucks. Maybe you could
point me in the right direction on my thoughts.

What I was thinking was that commands that install to the root
filesystem in LFS always be defined with a role, such as "install".
So, you could then have something like:

Then, during the command extraction during jhalfs, you could query for
this role and define extra <xsl:text> actions that surround this text.
This is really no different than what the paco patch appears to be
doing now, except it's not hardcoding things by looking for string().

Now, here's where I'm totally lost by not knowing xsl. I'd like it if
the lfs.xsl script "included" something like pm.xsl where you could
define custom actions that would be triggered for the "install" role.
Basically, I think it would be preferable if the dumped commands
contained all the extra processing instead of mangling LFS/master.sh
to add commands to the Makefile.

Is this possible?

--
Dan