Makefile generation.. an experiment

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 17 12:05:35 PDT 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Martes, 17 de Octubre de 2006 05:32, George Boudreau escribió:
>> Manuel,
>>    I was expanding on an suggestion from Dan concerning simplification
>> of the generated Makefile.
>>    This code is very raw but it does work for LUSER with tests enabled
>> in LFS. I am still working on a method to include the optimization
>> switches.
>>    This method has possibilities of reducing both the generated makefile
>> and removing many of the common_functions procedures.
>
> My concern with that method is, if I'm not wrong, that it will move the body
> of each target to a Makefile function, making more hard to insert conditional
> steps, like the ones required for optimizations or PACO.
>
> Or maybe you are thinking on creating dynamically makefile-functions file
> based on configuration options.

   There is so little left to be done with JHALFS I am doing this as a
design exercise. I am looking at all possibilities and dynamic entry
creation is one of them. Nothing is carved in stone.
   This may be a heretical statement, I am also looking at a
non-makefile methodology. (We use so little of the makefile capabilities).