Package Management Options

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 17 12:17:20 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> I've been thinking about how the paco patch is currently managed and
> was trying to think how package management could be more general in
> jhalfs. Unfortunately, my understanding of xsl sucks. Maybe you could
> point me in the right direction on my thoughts.
>
> What I was thinking was that commands that install to the root
> filesystem in LFS always be defined with a role, such as "install".
> So, you could then have something like:

> Then, during the command extraction during jhalfs, you could query for
> this role and define extra <xsl:text> actions that surround this text.
> This is really no different than what the paco patch appears to be
> doing now, except it's not hardcoding things by looking for string().
>
> Now, here's where I'm totally lost by not knowing xsl. I'd like it if
> the lfs.xsl script "included" something like pm.xsl where you could
> define custom actions that would be triggered for the "install" role.
> Basically, I think it would be preferable if the dumped commands
> contained all the extra processing instead of mangling LFS/master.sh
> to add commands to the Makefile.
>
> Is this possible?

   Anything is possible the question is: "Should we commit
time/resources to hardwiring a pm into JHALFS"
   I do not believe the use of package manager to install the books is
proper for JHALFS. 'Hard wiring' a package manager moves jhalfs one step
closer to be a full blown distro manager and one step away from a pure
book tool.