Package Management Options

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 14:01:51 PDT 2006

On 10/17/06, George Boudreau <georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>    Anything is possible the question is: "Should we commit
> time/resources to hardwiring a pm into JHALFS"
>    I do not believe the use of package manager to install the books is
> proper for JHALFS. 'Hard wiring' a package manager moves jhalfs one step
> closer to be a full blown distro manager and one step away from a pure
> book tool.

Actually, what drove me writing that is a desire to _not_ hardwire a
pm into jhalfs, but make it more generic. The paco patch shows that
you have to do a lot of mangling of jhalfs internals to get it
working. I would like this to be more plugin like.

What I'm proposing is that there is a generic pm.xsl that is initially
empty. I.e., in the default case, nothing happens. You can fill in the
details yourself. Ideally, only this one file would need to be edited
to add support for <your package manager>.

Now I'm going to read Manuel's post to see if my XSL musings are crack.

--
Dan