Package Management Options

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Oct 17 15:41:21 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> What I'm proposing is that there is a generic pm.xsl that is initially
> empty. I.e., in the default case, nothing happens. You can fill in the
> details yourself. Ideally, only this one file would need to be edited
> to add support for <your package manager>.

I hope I'm not out-of-line [contributing] here but, personally, I'd like
to see jhalfs (or it's sibling?) develop so it has an architecture that
supports a "plugin" facility. The idea being that anyone can develop new
or innovative features without having to change the base code which
builds THE BOOK. I'm sure something could be done, even in bash, to
allow this sort of flexibility?

I think the ability to build {L,C,H,B}FS using this tool is terrific and
it has proven to be a very useful tool (Take the ICA/farce additions or
the PACO patch) so why not try and make a platform which would allow
individual customisations?

I am not a software engineer, but have "played" with writing code in
Basic (& VB), Java, PHP, and bash etc... It would be really great if
anyone could contribute add-on features that could be developed to a
standardised specification.

Thanks anyway. I love the LFS project and I have some business goals to
develop a platform based around L{B}FS and gladly offer my assistance in
whatever way is appropriate.

Alan
LFS id: 213 (I think)