Package Management Options

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:30:35 PDT 2006

On 10/18/06, M.Canales.es <manuel at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> El Miércoles, 18 de Octubre de 2006 00:58, Dan Nicholson escribió:
>
> > The way it looks presently, the XSL extraction has to be more flexible
> > somehow to allow a plugin system. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems
> > like everything else is working around the fact that it's difficult to
> > extract the commands in a generic way.
>
> Actually the commands are extracted now in a generic way. The issue is to can
> extract it by command type.
>
> > Unfortunately, the extraction
> > is done using XSL, and only Manuel really knows XSL. So, it's already
> > game over by the time you get to the bash level unless you directly
> > hack up jhalfs like the paco patch does.
>
> The current XSL code looks hard to understand due that the book sources aren't
> written thinking on commads extraction and automatization. Then a lot of
> hacks are needed to can extract usable code snippes.

Can you point me to some XSL documentation? I want to play around with
this some. If the changes to the book aren't that intrusive, then I
think it will be fine. There's already tons of stuff in the LFS and
BLFS books that nobody but you understands, so I don't see why anyone
would care. As long as the editors aren't going to be required to add
tons of new tags, then it shouldn't be too bad.

In BLFS we already add role="root" on top of having a huge book that's
much more complicated than LFS and no one seems to mind.

Thanks, Manuel.

--
Dan