Package Management Options

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 13:45:57 PDT 2006

On 10/18/06, M.Canales.es <manuel at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> El Miércoles, 18 de Octubre de 2006 00:58, Dan Nicholson escribió:
>
> > This is actually the crux of the problem. If the plugin system could
> > be written in bash, it would have been done already as both Manuel and
> > George write excellent shell code. Take a look at the paco patch. It
> > has to hack up the xsl extraction script, jhalfs functions and LFS
> > master script to get it to work.
>
> Well, actually the current code has been developed adding new features on top
> of the existent code. There is some modularization but a change in one
> feature may breack other features. Think that this project born only 13 moths
> ago and part of the base code found in the first POC is yet in the current
> version.
>
> I would also to make the tool more modularized and plugins-based. But that
> meant to rethink the core code and maybe reimplement all the features from
> scratch.
>
> IMHO, we should to finish developing the current code, making it more robust
> and bugs-free. Then we could to start thinking on how to recode it to allow
> pluggeable features.

Definitely agree. Jhalfs is working great, and there's no reason to
throw that all away right now. Please make sure you follow your
current plans through to the end before anyone starts working on
completely new methods.

But I agree that the tool will probably have to be rethought from the
core to do these very powerful things. I'm gonna read up on XSL and
friends for a few days and see if I have any great ideas.

--
Dan