Greetings and a General Cleanup

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 30 10:12:53 PST 2006

Hi Everyone,

I was poking around a bit today on wiki.l14h.org and noticed that the
LiveCD Trac system was cluttered with spam tickets. It seems to have
sparked a little annoyance in me, because I went to check if I could
still get administrative access. A little to my surprise, I was able to
get in, so I cleaned up all the spam. I started by marking the tickets
as invalid, but then figured out how to delete them entirely. Also, I
deleted the accounts responsible for the spam and turned off open user
registration for the LiveCD trac system. At least until the LiveCD
project is better moderated, only allowed users can create tickets.

The little bit of activity felt nice and renewed my desire to help
somewhat. So I thought I'd bring up two other points while I'm at it.

First off, the ALFS project as a whole needs some re-structuring. I
gather that development on jhalfs is still hot (I've taken a peek at
recent code - you guys are doing some cool stuff. :) ), but it seems
that everything else there is rather dead. I'd suggest dropping the rest
of it entirely, focus on improving jhalfs, and clean up the project so
that it better reflects the activity. This leads me to my second point...

The ALFS page on the website is a good example of the condition of the
site as a whole. The content there is generally outdated and there's
nothing to show the activity that's going on in the background. So, I
guess I'm curious if there is still resistance to the idea of turning
the wiki into the main site. It just may encourage developers to keep
the site more up-to-date, and in turn, encourage more in general to
participate with the project. One of the objections to this, IIRC, was
the inability to mirror. However, also IIRC, the CLFS project has been
able to mirror Trac - they might have some insights there. For that
matter, when it comes down to it, web mirrors may not really be all that
helpful, except for perhaps when it comes to the actual books. It might
be just as efficient to keep the 'site' all on one server via the wiki,
but link to mirrors that contain the published books for online reading.

That's just some passing thoughts I had. I realize that I'm not really
up to speed with the dynamics of the group these days, so my take on
matters may very well be inaccurate. If I'm completely ignored, I'll
understand. :)

In any case: Hello!

--
JH