Greetings and a General Cleanup

George Makrydakis gmakmail at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 13:52:22 PST 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 21:02, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Yeah, that would still be cool. What happened to the other George (gmak)?
>
> --
> JH

Hello Jeremy.

work on own my version of the drama whenever that is possible, having it grow
the way it should. I initially was in doubt of whether emailing you directly
or sending this to the mailing list, but as you see, well...! If you have
time, read what follows.

It is _not_ just about parsing the files and spitting out the bash commands
anymore, if I am allowed to say this after several months of absence with no
code posts whatsoever (and for a _very_ valid reason, feel free to judge this
any way you wish, i am always open). The _final_ product will be GPL anyway
so this will keep everybody happy.

With jhalfs being "the" tool for autobuilding LFS something alternative should
not simply be an option but a much more versatile solution. And that, as you
very well know, takes time - will aside. Some people could see this as
competition for "the" tool, something it is not at all.

As a side - note, many times I have had the desire to go and put stuff into
the jhalfs code, because the work of George B. is what I would like to define
as "addictive". :) His set of suggestions about the alternative layout of the
book should be _very_ well taken under consideration. I have dealt with the
same issue in my own modification of the book structure and opted for
something similar when it comes to the userinput tags. Being
a "do-not-use-it-unless-you-have-to-not-because-you-know-how-to-use-it" guy I
have done some mods that would excommunicate me if presented or talked about
right now :P.

**inner voice**
Needless to say that interfering in what you do _NOT_ actually have any say or
active contribution just for offering "your way" of things is definitely
_RUDE_ and _OFF_TOPIC_ as well as ...
**inner voice ends!**

I would also like to take the opportunity to give my best regards and
compliments to George B. and the rest of the bash coding team for the
excellent work done in pushing bash and third party tools to their extremes
so far. They have created a very well checked bash toolkit for this that can
easily find reuse in many other areas. For what it concerns Mr. Greg Schafer
of the cousin diy-linux project, my compliments for providing his solid view
on meta - source distro building to *lfs as well (in his way). I do enjoy his
work _greatly_.

Anyway,  serious dev work around this should have never  been made under POC
posts, but it should first _flow_ to a point of robustness. Obvious pitfalls
are allowed in POC -  but in this way, being based in "out of the pool"
inspirations you end up being kind of  misinterpreted before they are
complete not to mention you waste time on either explaining acceptable POC
level logical errors or else (cut brief: I am making a set of _libraries_
that are customized for something like this and more).

For the record, both name and overall purpose of the project by yours truly
have changed. There will be a separate place in the web managed by yours
truly with the first release (_clarification:_ no competition whatsover
without anything coming out of the lfs breed pool, it is not anymore only
about building it automatically).

That said, I look forward to the day I will not be doing this single handed
nor behind the scenes. For now I stick to the moto "Patience is a virtue...".

Best regards and a warm warm welcome back :) Hope to read more of you here,
elsewhere and elsewhere...

George M.

PS it is not gmak anymore (many other people and "things" go by the same nice
nick :( so i will stick to George M.), but anyway your memory is astonishing,
thanks for remembering.