JHalfs-2.2 and blfs

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 07:21:31 PDT 2007

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:00:04 +0100
TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have quite a few remarks about jhalfs-2.2 and blfs.
>
> I should start, however, by saying up front that it's an excellent
> tool for building LFS (at least svn-2007-630, which built fine here
> last night)
and...

6) The BLFS packages built as part of the LFS build get marker files
in /var/lib/jhalfs/BLFS with owner root:root.  When you come to run as
an unprivileged user the scripts can't delete these files ('cos BLFS
bumped a version while you were not looking :-) unless their ownership
is changed.  The note in the readme to change the perms, doesn't
mention the ownership, and it should.

7) There ought to be some way of restarting an xorg build if it bombs,
at the momement you need to delete everything and start again, or use #
all over the scripts which screws up repeatability and logging.  I keep
putting a load of 'if exists' stuff oll over, but it'd be better if
there was a scheme.

-------------------------

I hope you guys are interested in these comments as I find them, I'm
not sure if anyone else uses the BLFS build system in jhalfs, but I
think it's a great start at a book-based automated build system for
LFS's greatest asset (BLFS).

Almost all of this is just minor niggles, there isn't that much wrong
with it. (screams: why the hell didn't xorg make a supported
build script to ship with the modular build!)

(and by the way I fixed the comments in the wget lists with:

sed -i '/#/d' ../xxx.wget

Per Arne's method is neater IMO.

Richard.