JHalfs-2.2 and blfs

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 4 10:15:11 PDT 2007

TheOldFellow wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:00:04 +0100
> TheOldFellow <theoldfellow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have quite a few remarks about jhalfs-2.2 and blfs.
>>
>> I should start, however, by saying up front that it's an excellent
>> tool for building LFS (at least svn-2007-630, which built fine here
>> last night)
> and...
>
> 6) The BLFS packages built as part of the LFS build get marker files
> in /var/lib/jhalfs/BLFS with owner root:root.  When you come to run as
> an unprivileged user the scripts can't delete these files ('cos BLFS
> bumped a version while you were not looking :-) unless their ownership
> is changed.  The note in the readme to change the perms, doesn't
> mention the ownership, and it should.
>
> 7) There ought to be some way of restarting an xorg build if it bombs,
> at the momement you need to delete everything and start again, or use #
> all over the scripts which screws up repeatability and logging.  I keep
> putting a load of 'if exists' stuff oll over, but it'd be better if
> there was a scheme.
>
> -------------------------
>
> I hope you guys are interested in these comments as I find them, I'm
> not sure if anyone else uses the BLFS build system in jhalfs, but I
> think it's a great start at a book-based automated build system for
> LFS's greatest asset (BLFS).
>
> Almost all of this is just minor niggles, there isn't that much wrong
> with it. (screams: why the hell didn't xorg make a supported
> build script to ship with the modular build!)
>
> (and by the way I fixed the comments in the wget lists with:
>
> sed -i '/#/d' ../xxx.wget
>
> Per Arne's method is neater IMO.
>
> Richard.

   Thank you for your interest in our product.

   LFS Tool and Die PLC is a trans-global operation with facilities on
two continents. While no software is defect free, our goal is a 6-sigma
product. To this end, we encourage customers to vigorously exercise our
software and report any problems with design or documentation.

   You comments/concerns have been logged on a Post-it note and affixed
to the corporate wine cooler and will be addressed shortly.

   regards