Ubuntu?

Petrus petrus4 at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 31 17:49:55 PDT 2007

> Just one last quick note.  It would be nice if advanced features of these
> commands were not used so the ALFS system would work out of the
> box with distros like Ubuntu.  Just my 2 cents.

I know I don't talk much here usually, but personally I don't feel that ALFS
being broken on end-user distros like Ubuntu is likely to be due to a
problem on ALFS' end.

Ubuntu is obscene in terms of default omissions when compared to a base LFS,
even after the build-essential metapackage is installed.  Personally I avoid
anything Debian based like the plague; technically speaking it's horrible,
and the people are even worse.

If you need a sane build host, I'd either manually build LFS first, or use
Slackware.  That's about the only premade distro that I know of that can be
relied upon for a genuinely sane build environment out of the box.