Questions/queries on jhalfs

Kevin Williams kevkim55 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:30:51 PDT 2007

Thanks a zillion Thomas, I really appreciate your help in this regard. :-D

>If you mean using two completely different versions of jhalfs I wouldn't
>recommend that or see it as necessary, since both LFS and BLFS can be
>setup using the same version.

I think, my first question wasn't what it was intended to be. Certainly it
was my fault.
I was trying to know, if I start jhalfs and configure it for BLFS, would it
start with the
commands from BLFS or would it start with LFS and then proceed to BLFS ?

>only one package (namely Qt) has been known not to build
>right in a chroot.

Thanks for the hint ! :-)

>Except if you were to stop it during the chroot phase and then reboot, it
might get a
>little tricky.

Again Thanks for the hint ! I see what you mean.

I guess, I should be able to manually chroot and resume make.

>That's what the TRACKING_DIR is for, unless it's cleaned out for some
>reason, jhalfs will know what's installed hopefully.

I read that in README files and it wasn't immediately clear whether this
tracking system
saved the list of  individual files of each package. The README files use
the words
 "This tool includes a very simple tracking system to log which packages
have been
  installed using the tool". Thus, I couldn't tell if it only saved package
names
OR tar.gz'd package OR the individual files of a package or their names.

>It's possible, there was a patch to add paco support to jhalfs that was
>included in a few of the past versions of jhalfs, but it wasn't being
>maintained by the person who created it for a while and was eventually
>removed.

Yeah ! I read that ! What was discussed was about the xsl files. Which would
require
knowing xls !! I were wondering if I could simply insert a command
somewhere. I guess,
I found a way. It is not so easy and would require editing each of the
scripts and changing
the 'make install' lines. Possibly some scripting using sed can achieve
this. Not sure,
how I could do the same for those packages which, do not include a 'make
install' line and
those which, dynamically create files (convert-mans script which converts
man pages for eg.).

Personally I feel that, package management is necessary keeping in mind,
100's if not 1000's of
files abandoned by packages that were upgraded somewhere along the time.
Without PM, it becomes really difficult to keep track of files which are no
longer needed. I use paco for this. only to keep track of installed files
(for clean removal).

Thanks again.

Regards,

Kevin