ALFS shortcomings

M.Canales.es macana at macana-es.com
Thu Sep 13 10:16:00 PDT 2007

El Jueves, 13 de Septiembre de 2007 12:34, Jean-Luc Delatre escribió:

> The check_prerequisites() in common/libs/func_check_version.sh fails on
> FIND and GREP because "fancy" version numbers on Knoppix 5.1 contain
> intermediate noise words which confuse the 'cut -d" " -f4'.

There is no way to make happy all that distros that insist on customize the
default version string output for some tools. I such cases jhalfs will prompt
you:

"If you are sure that you have installed a proper version of {prog_name}
but jhalfs has failed to detect it, press 'c' and 'ENTER' keys to continue,
otherwise press 'ENTER' key to stop jhalfs.  "

> And this does come from Config.in
>   config MKFILE
>    string "Makefile"
>    default "$JHALFSDIR/Makefile"

You are doing wrong assumptions. MKFILE define the full path to the build
Makefile to be generated after parsing the book, NOT the master Makefile
included in the jhalfs sources.

Plus, that setting is under a "Internal settings" sub-menu that is labeled
"WARNING: for jhalfs developers only".

I think that the GUI is very clear here saying that you must not to change the
settings founds inside that menu.

> >   To use this tool you MUST:
> >
> >    - have experience building {c,h,b}LFS packages
>
> NO! I don't want to, on the contrary I want to use ALFS to get this
> experience even if the learning curve is steeper

By design and developers decision, jhalfs is designed to be used for users
that have experience building manually *LFS systems. If you have never build
a *LFS system, you can still try use jhalfs, but don't cray if you don't know
how to use it.

> >     If you do not have the above skills, please don't use this tool.
>
> If you do not have software engineering skills beyond "cleverness" I
> suggest you read this: http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

Instead of flame us, you should send constructive criticisms, discuss ideas
about how to improve the tool, and/or send patches to fix possible bugs.
After all, that is the open source philosophy.