Linguistic Shortcomings.

J. Greenlees lists at jaqui-greenlees.net
Sat Sep 15 00:48:17 PDT 2007

Alan Lord wrote:
> J. Greenlees wrote:
>   > TheOldFellow wrote:
>>> The non-native-English writers amongst us, are probably wondering about
>>> the frequent misuse, by so-called native-English speakers in these
>>> threads...
>> something about pot and kettle comes to mind. ;)
>>
>>> your = a possessive pronoun.  It never, ever, means 'you are'.
>>> e.g. your book, your crap software, your stupid explanation etc,etc..
>>>
>>> you're = 'you are' and never, ever, a possessive pronoun.
>>> e.g you're a fine chap, you're right about that, you're a imbecile,
>>> you're idea is rubbish.
>> Since grammatically, "you're an imbecile" is the correct phrasing. :)
>> English requires the 'an' when the following word begins with a vowel.
>
> I had to drop in some comments. couldn't resist...
>
> Except for Hotel... It should also be "an hotel". Not "a hotel".
>
>>> You all = Texan (not English) for something friendly....
>>>
>>> This is a bit like me, in the easy days of learning Spanish, saying to
>>> a Spaniard: 'No habla Espaniol'  ( = YOU don't speak Spanish - which of
>>> course he did, and I didn't (hablo)!)
>>>
>>> Please fix this before fixing the software!
>>>
>> The issue about correct spelling and grammar in english, even with those
>> for whom it is their first language, is common everywhere. The internet
>> has become a melting pot for corruption of English, since so many
>> youngsters use text messaging spelling online. Things like u instead of
>> you, and the really common 'a.f.a.i.k.' etcetera don't help with the
>> spelling and grammar issues.
>
> Agreed. Although these are generally accepted "international" standards.
>
>> It is made worse by the number of English dialects, being Canadian, my
>> English is mostly British in spelling and grammar, but has been strongly
>> affected by French. [ centre instead of center or theatre instead of
>> theater for two examples. ] These "dialectic" spelling differences help
>> contribute to the confusion.
>
> This is the correct and true spelling of centre and theatre as far as I
> am concerned.
>
>> Since the end of World War II, the "official" language for international
>> business and communication has been US English, it might help if
>> everyone ran their documents through a spell checker using the US
>> English dictionary for the spelling errors. Unfortunately, the grammar
>> checkers available outside of MS Office, Star Office or Corel Office
>> suites really suck at catching even the your / you're errors, never mind
>> the English oddities with exceptions to every rule.
>
> Says who??? Since when have we adopted US English? That is not the case
> here in the UK. we certainly don't stoop to US centric
> spelling/adulteration of our beloved language. If we can help it that
> is. ;-) In fact I try my hardest to educate our North American
> colleagues into their linguistic failings and misdemeanours...

The post WWII N.A.T.O. / U.N. [ etc. ] agreed that for international
trade purposes US English is the language to be used. [ probably because
of the impact the US had in WWII ]
I was chucking over a spelling difference on a CNET owned site,
Techrepublic added tags to their discussion postings, and the tag used
for joke threads on this US site.. Humour << not the US spelling of
Humor :D

Seems that Canadian, British and Aussie members have significantly
impacted the spelling habits of the American members there.

I actually prefer to set my boxes to use en_GB, so I don't see any
Americanized spelling being accepted as correct. ;)

> Of course we *could* go on to discuss to the [mis]use of the apostrophe
> - now that would be fun :-)

That's just it, we can discuss this endlessly, it doesn't change anything.

Jaqui