made a complete but different (jh)ALFS already - please offer on LFS and or discuss

John D. Hendrickson johnandsara2 at cox.net
Thu Jul 2 11:50:10 PDT 2015

I'd like this "AFS" to be a link with a small write-up on the LFS site
please.  Also I would like to work with you all and hear advice on doing
so.  All except for the negative funding part :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/debguyscripts/files/build-0.1.2.tar.gz

build-0.1

Makes everything "%100 automatically" for a basic system: from
libtermcap up to and including firefox-5.0, desktop and browsing ready
when done.  350+ pkgs.

0) assumes you have linux kernel 2.6+ compiled

1) makes a chroot1 using some debinan sarge .deb
    (dpkg, debian not required: just lk 2.6)

2) builds core and makes chroot2 from initial pkg list

3) builds the rest inside chroot2

4) is able to boot as new / when done
    (actually, here is where user gets to move around
     their dirs - that one job is wisely left undone)

5) its a nice build environment because it's simple:
    it works pretty well in across resets when things go wrong
    because it's just a simple sh script that knows
    you'll be stopping and starting (if adding new fixes)

*) does not come with /boot or /etc, use your own
    (and really dont install a new grub if your old one works!)

** if nothing else it may help you or others with
    build methods or build options of some 350+ pkgs
    (infact, as it goes it records what it uses for use at sh prompt)

** making only 350+ its missing allot: ie, libdb2.  but that can be
    borrowed from (debian squeeze, sarge, even slackware) bins

README.build-0.1 has 1-2-3 instructions which I myself have followed
successfully a few times now (no detours, it worked).

"build" is simple sh script that: downlods pkgs, makes chroots, builds.
  It's mostly straight down: no complex functions or other programs,
just simple readable sh (which can do all fixing up make(1) cannot do to
get the job done).

GNU/Linux is what I call it ;)  It begins with "a well know starting
point" and is CAREFUL that none of "debian sarge" gets into chroot2.
 From there things build right because it is based on exact versions and
default install of GNU/Linux (gcc, glibc, etc).  About 150 out of 350
have fixes applied, while the others are good with just default
configure options.

CAVEATE:  most versions are intently similar to Debian Squeeze (around
year 2010) - and run debian squeeze/sarge bins where there's no conflicts*

* (ie, if squeeze depends on pam, and if pam is not built: which doesn't
effect things like xpdf, route, pnmtops, etc)

Motivation:

I didn't like the build options debian/bsd admins began using - nor the
direction of deleting inetd for systemd or moving toward deleting X11
for Wayland: and it damages software i already $purchased.

Flat out I needed to have a system where if someone (attacked) a feature
I relied on - I could patch in code that bypasses / works it.

Also: for debain (i'm kinda hooked on linux kernel) I found no clear way
to build from scratch - that making a "build server" was not something i
though would "be easy once installed" (i rather like the freeBSD Make
world build system, other things aside).  Ie, when i try building a pkg
from source.iso as their directions suggest: i often get build failures
- it's too complex.  Their sources assumes a build server  environment
that has magic which may need packages to build more than once to
"finally build".   (some src pkgs build easy: some need hacking, due to
this).  Worse: I THINK they are putting some old sources and bins in NEW
distros: meaning ... the binary still works but in the new debian the
source no longer builds and they call this "depreciated" or "needs help
/ unmaintained / may be removed".  (that's a great argument to use
freeBSD: but look at their bug list - users somehow end up with a
mountain of problems getting a "stable distro" to compile from scratch
these days - not like the days of stable freeBSD from what i heard)

Finally I'd really prefer freeBSD if it weren't for the two things:

1) freeBSD doesnt contain much of linux kernel yet nor freeBSD in linux
    and oppositely not enough freeBSD in linux

2) freeBSD admins are also hacking in "admin favorites" (pam pam pam)
    the sum of getting rid of opts I didnt want to have a basic unix
    system: is adding up to being more time and effort than making one
    from scratch.  too many whistles and bells to manage to get rid of.

3)  my motto i think would be: dont give users trouble
     that they didnt ask to get into :)