[alfs-discuss] jhalfs uses /tools/bin/bash throughout chapter 6

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sat May 12 12:47:11 PDT 2018

On 12/05/2018 18:34, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 05/12/2018 04:40 AM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
>> While looking at the chroot commands in jhalfs for fixing what is reported in
>> http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2018-May/072246.html
>>
>> I found that "SHELL=/tools/bin/bash" is used for the "CHROOT" target. Since
>> the CHROOT target is (up to one script) chapter 6, this means that
>> /tools/bin/bash is used throughout chapter 6, even when /bin/bash is available.
>>
>> There are 2 questions:
>> 1- Should this be corrected?
>> 2- if yes to 1, how?
>
> We do have the user do
>
>   exec /bin/bash --login +h
>
> in Chapter 6 bash, but that is a role="nodump" command.

And it would be lost for the next build anyway, since the scripts exits when
it is done.

> Actually, for the purposes of jhalfs, I do not think the issue needs to be
> corrected.  At the end of jhalfs, the user will log in with the correct bash.
> The only potential issue is what is used for the BLFS portion of the script
> where the user may have removed /tools ?

No problem there. Everywhere else (that is not in chapter 6), SHELL is
/bin/bash (that is: host /bin/bash in chapter 5, and chroot /bin/bash in
chapters 7 and 8, blfs tools, and custom tools).

I too think it is not worth the trouble to correct this, unless the fix is
easy (which I do not think it is). But "purist" users might want to use the
newly built bash as soon as it is available...

Pierre