[blfs-dev] Mercurial or wget for openjdk?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 6 13:31:51 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 04:15:01PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 06-09-2015 10:03, Pierre Labastie escreveu:
>
> > I have a proposition, which might satisfy everybody: why not put both the
> > tarball download and the mercurial instructions in the book?
>
> Please don't do that. Forget wget. I don't need to be satisfied, but
> respected. If you had not "forgotten" my earlier post, no threads about
> this subject would have happened. And i don't like my idea side by side
> with one that I completely disagree.

In much of BLFS there are things that _I_ disagree with.  Many of
them are a matter of taste, or of my preference for "every package
in my normal build needs to justify its inclusion" - to me, a
smaller build is better (but these days, small seems to have fallen
by the wayside - I increased my system sizes to 14+GB, but they
still fill up).

On a couple of occasions over the years I have come close to throwing
my toys out of the (BLFS) pram, but I managed to back off for a day
or three, and think about what the consequences would be for *me* : a
lot more time available from not updating BLFS, but a far greater
expediture of time to find out how to build everything.  By that
point, I decided that for me, going off in a huff would not bring any
real benefit, and I was able to look again at whatever the issue was,
and realise that really it was not important.

> This a situation without that no one remedy any more.
>
> As I am writing this post before than I wishwd to:
>
> To all editors:
>
> Em 06-09-2015 01:26, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
> > Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>
> >> If there is a choice between X and Fernando, X will be chosen.
> >

> > That is defiantly not true. Actually I try to not consider the
> > source of the suggestion, but only the pros and cons of that
> > suggestion. There are commits that are made all the time where I
> > would do things differently, but what is there is good too so a
> > comment or change is not needed.
>
> After I fix what I can, I will leave open the tickets to be inspected,
> changed at will, and please, close them afterwards. This applis to the
> main BLFS editors, not others.

Please, nobody is criticising what you do (from time to time there
might be issues in the detail - that applies to *all* of us).  We
each have different strengths and weaknesses - I continue to be
impressed by how many package updates you manage to do, and I was
impressed this weekend that you found some upstream commit(s) to fix
Mesa with llvm-3.7.0.

The important thing is to value differences and diversity.  Anybody
who becomes an editor should be, and is, respected.  That applies to
those editors who happen to work on systemd equally with those who
work on trunk.

We all have different interests, and different beliefs, different
things which we hold dear, and different prejudices.  Many of us
have individual problems too.   But none of that should cause us to
make disrespectful comments about each other.  From my own
experience, when things get me down I know it can be easy to become
inward-looking and draw false conclusions.

Sometimes, a brief pointer to what I am doing wrong can feel like a
slap around the face with a wet fish.  That is not usually how the
sender intended it to feel.  On technical lists, it is conventional
to be terse (sorry, _I_ often fail that part).

Discussion is good, but for most things there is no vote, somebody
makes a decision.  The alternative is that we *all* ask, *every*
time : 'should I do this, or should I do that ?' for a particular
issue in a package upgrade, then take a vote - that cannot work
(unless we are only going to update a couple of packages per week),
and we all rely on all the other editors' judgement.

> Also, it was before the bad, unfortunate, "systemd" incident that put
> Bruce and Fernando in opposite sides. Without that, I would always
> continue having all the respect, admiration and liking for Bruce.

Some people like systemd, even among LFS users.  Others have to use
packages which only work on systemd.  Do not allow your dislike of
systemd to poison your views or your attitude to other editors and
developers - on lkml a few months ago there were anti-systemd trolls
posting, throwing insults (well, what a right-winger who wanted
women to be subordinate to men would think were insults).  I almost
concluded they were sock-puppets set up to make systemd look good.
Please do not fall into that trap.