[blfs-dev] libreoffice-5.0.1.2 : patch for system boost

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 7 18:26:56 PDT 2015


I've just uploaded the patch I'm now using to build LO with system
boost.  After Fernando confirmed that it was indeed a boost problem,
I started a build without system boost, but then tried a different
search on google.  That found a few github library commits (e.g.
libabw), and also a mailing list post about a series of similar
commits.  Those were not relevant to my initial failure.  But then I
took a look at fedora - at some point after Fernando had replied to
me, they added a new patch for boost-1.59.0.  So, I stopped that
build, went back to using system boost, and tried again.

Unfortunately, after a bit over 5 hours (I build many languages on
this particular machine) it failed in a couple of the libs.

I then started looking for the original commit(s) to fix the libs.
They were only 7 or 8 days ago, so I thought that cgit might be a
good way : wrong!  There are _so_many_ commits in libreoffice core,
and several times firefox-40.0.3 crashed while going back (so, that
is still unstable, but at least it recovers to a recent position).

In the end I cloned the tree.  I had assumed that would take longer
than using cgit, because it is a *big* tree, but in fact it
completed before I got back far enough in cgit.  Looking for boost
in the log, there were a variety of probably-unrelated commits, and
then a series on 30th August.  I took the whole series, even though
three of them are described as "drop dep on boost" - I guessed that
if I did not use those, the build might still fail.  I had to apply
several hunks by hand, but in the end I was fairly sure I had got
them right and I addded the fedora patch and rediffed.  Then I set it
building - don't you just love being still up at 6 a.m. ?  Once I saw
that it was actually into compiling code, I left it - when I
resurfaced, it had completed and LO appears to work ok.

At any other time I would just drop this in.  But now that we are in
a soft freeze I would prefer comments, partly because of what I
omit.

1. I do not provide the following dependencies: clucene, openldap,
unixODBC (in other words, for these I use whatever is shipped).

2.I omit most of the optional deps.

3. I have not built kde4 on this system, so I cannot test the
optional switch --enable-kde4 : I have previously found that
building with that switch only works if I am not already running
kwin4, and there is some doubt if I will ever bother to build kde4
again (it looked like a colourful, if CPU-intensive, thing to run on
one particular machine, but that box has died).

4. Different build switches:  Looking at my script, the following
seem to differ -
	--with-lang : I have a lot more, should not matter
	--with-sytem-boost (obviously)

and the following are omitted -
	--with-myspell-dicts
	--without-system-dicts
	--with-system-clucene
	--with-system-lcms2 : I seem to have missed that one
	--with-system-odbc
	--with-system-openldap

Comments, please.

ĸen
-- 
Il Porcupino Nil Sodomy Est! (if you will excuse my latatian)
  aka "The hedgehog song"


More information about the blfs-dev mailing list