[blfs-dev] LLVM-Mesa interaction

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Tue Sep 8 07:30:22 PDT 2015

Em 08-09-2015 10:43, Pierre Labastie escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> If Mesa is built with the r600 gallium driver, it needs that the
> r600 target be enabled for LLVM. Currently, the book instructions
> have only "--enable-targets=host" in LLVM, while they have
> GLL_DRV="nouveau,r300,r600,radeonsi,svga,swrast" in Mesa,
> and Mesa build fails.
> As noted in the mesa ticket for 10.6.6, and included in the book,
> Mesa needs to be patched to build the r600 driver, but this is
> another issue.
> Removing r600 from this GLL_DRV allows Mesa to build (obviously
> without the r600 driver), but I am not sure this is the best
> alternative.
> First, I think that a note should be added to the command
> explanations in LLVM, telling that if the r600 GLL driver is needed,
> target r600 should be added.
> Then add a note to Mesa telling that r600 GLL driver should be
> removed if r600 has not been built in LLVM.
>
> Please tell me whether it suits you.
>
> Pierre

Agreed. I couldn't decide, and forgot to ask Ken if it would be OK to
remove form Mesa and let the user decide, when he needed, because Ken
explicitly mentioned r600 in two ocasions or more, in our discussion.
That made me thinking that I could remove from GLL_DRV, because a user
needing it would fill up the steps. Of course, Ken is much more than a
user, so, your suggestion is probably the best one. But it would be good
to hear Ken's opinion.

Again, I agree with you, but Ken may provide some better alternative.

Fernando