[blfs-dev] Python-3.4.3 docs

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 13:08:28 PDT 2015

Pierre Labastie wrote:
> On 09/09/2015 18:27, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Pierre Labastie wrote:
>>
>>> The doc tarball for Python 3 keeps changing without notice, so that the
>>> md5sum of the file downloaded tpday from
>>> https://docs.python.org/3/archives/python-3.4.3-docs-html.tar.bz2
>>> is different from what is in the book.
>>
>> Have you asked upstream why?

> No, but I guess documentation does not follow a release schedule: there site
> advertise:"Download _current_documentation" (underline by me). Then,on the
> download page: "Last updated on: September 09,2015." I once tried to see what
> they change: mainly typos, or improvement in wording. Maybe, we could just
> remove the md5sum. After all, I cannot see how a compromised documentation
> could be a security threat... Well, external links, maybe?

It's still screwy to update a *versioned* file:
python-3.4.3-docs-html.tar.bz2

Most of the time we do specify the md5sum for docs, but we don't for
extra files in places like apache-ant and wireshark and tigervnc.

I guess the easiest way to go would be to add a note about what upstream
does and not include the md5sum.