[blfs-dev] Minor suggestions for popt, libgpg-error and libgcrypt

Tim Tassonis stuff at decentral.ch
Wed Sep 9 13:22:42 PDT 2015

Hi all

A while ago, I suggested some minor changes to the install of popt
libgpg-error and libgcrypt, mainly concerning the fact that due to
cryptsetup, these packages might be needed in early boot. As there was
no reply from anybody, I wonder, whether these were overlooked or deemed
to be unneeded because cryptsetup is not part of the book?

Anyways, just in case, I add them below again:

cryptsetup seems to be the preferred program to setup encrypted
partitions on linux and might be used in early boot, i.e. to mount an
encrypted /usr partition.

As cryptsetup depends on libgpg-error, libgrypt and popt, it might be a
good idea to ensure that these libraries are installed in /lib instead
of /usr/lib. In style of LFS/BLFS, the following commands could be added
to the installation of those packages:

- libgpg-error, after make install:

mv -v /usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.* /lib
ln -sf ../../lib/$(readlink /usr/lib/libgpg-error.so)
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so

- libgcrypt, after make install:

mv -v /usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.* /lib
ln -sf ../../lib/$(readlink /usr/lib/libgcrypt.so) /usr/lib/libgcrypt.so

- popt, after make install:

mv -v /usr/lib/libpopt.so.* /lib
ln -svf ../../lib/$(readlink /usr/lib/libpopt.so) /usr/lib/libpopt.so

Kind regards
Tim