[blfs-dev] Minor suggestions for popt, libgpg-error and libgcrypt

Tim Tassonis stuff at decentral.ch
Wed Sep 9 14:40:04 PDT 2015

On September 9, 2015 10:42:18 PM Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim Tassonis wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> A while ago, I suggested some minor changes to the install of popt
>> libgpg-error and libgcrypt, mainly concerning the fact that due to
>> cryptsetup, these packages might be needed in early boot. As there was
>> no reply from anybody, I wonder, whether these were overlooked or deemed
>> to be unneeded because cryptsetup is not part of the book?
>
> Yes, that's the case.  cryptsetup is not part of the book.  However your
> message comes up in a search for others to find.
>
> As a note, I do not see why the root partition needs to be encrypted.
> It's data that's important, not executables, libraries, and support files.

Neither do I, just thought the moving doesn't harm and if anybody for some
strange reason wants to have an encrypted /usr along an unencrypted root,
then these moves would make  that possible. For that reason, debian also
has those in /lib.

But I fully agree with you that personally, I don't really see the point in
such a setup.