[blfs-dev] [lfs-dev] midori]

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 13 17:43:01 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 01:03:10AM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> (Forwarding to blfs-dev)
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 01:01:10 +0100
> From: Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com>
> Subject: Re: [lfs-dev] midori
>
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 05:52:36PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > I'm trying to build midori-0.5.11 and I do have libzeitgeist-0.3.18
> > installed, but I get the message:
> >
> > error: Package `zeitgeist-2.0' not found in specified Vala API directories
> > or GObject-Introspection GIR directories
> >
> > We also list zeitgeist as external in gedit, but no other references to
> > libzeitgeist in the book.
> >
> > Do we need to update libzeitgeist to zeitgeist_0.9.16 or should we drop
> > libzeitgeist from the book?
> >
> > zeitgeist_0.9.16 optionally uses telepathy (not in the book) and requires
> > python-rdflib (which I haven't tried to find/install).
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> >   -- Bruce
> >
> My main suggestion would be to drop it, but that is probably
> excessive [ me, I sometimes like excess, and after initially liking
> midori it quickly fell out of my builds as its deps increased, and
> as it changed enough to make me describe it as 'not useful for me' ].
>
> Google mostly seems to point to us for 'midori zeitgeist', but
> 'zeitgeist-2.0.pc' found a match at Arch.  The match was for 0.9.15,
> with depends: json-glib, telepathy-glib, gtk3, xapian-core [ I assume
> you have already installed xapian for kde4 ], and makedepends:
> intltool, gobject-introspection, vala, raptor, python2-rdflib,
> gnome-common, git - those last two will be because they are
> apparently using a git version.
>
> Try https://pypi.python.org/pypi/rdflib?
>
> But : Arch have it depending on a shedload of Python packages.  Is
> there any way to disable it in the current version of midori ?  I ask
> that because google showed we used to make midori require it until
> Armin pointed out there was a switch to disable it.
>
> ĸen

In the configure script, I see:
#~  Usage:
#~    ./configure [OPTIONS]
#~    --prefix=PREFIX        Installation prefix
#~    --enable-gtk3          Use GTK+3
#~    --disable-zeitgeist    Disable Zeitgeist history integration
#~    --enable-granite       Fancy notebook and pop-overs
#~    --enable-apidocs       API documentation
#~
#~  Environment:
#~    VALAC if defined the valac executable to use, for example valac-0.16
#

But in fact we are using cmake with
-DUSE_ZEITGEIST=OFF

So I suggest that you point to the *external* libzeitgeist and add a
comment about its dependencies and change the Command Explanation.