[blfs-dev] ConsoleKit problems

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 14 19:23:39 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 08:37:16PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> It's really common that as soon as you post a problem that you figure it
> out.  Examining the startx script, I see that running
>
> $ startx -- vt7
>
> moves the x11-display-device back to tty7 and the session is now active and
> all the poweroff, etc buttons are active.
>
> If I change ~/.xinitrc to just have
>   xfce4-session
>
> it also works. It seems to inherit the session from login.
>
> But a plain 'startxfce4' does not.  Another thing that does not work is not
> updating shadow or if the pam_ck_connector.so module in
> /etc/pam.d/system-session is not used.
>
> The question now is how to address this in the book.  We may have to do it
> separately for each desktop environment.

Interesting.  Meanwhile, on my netbook (7.6) where I use the
following in .xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startxfce4

I was astounded to discover that the Restart and Shut Down icons are
_not_ greyed out (this is without PAM, I also have hacks on shutdown
so that a user can run it from the commandline [ dangerous, but I
trust /me ].  "Fortunately" (I did not really want to reboot), that
gave me a box to enter my (user) password and then reported that I
was not authorised.

But I'm not terribly fussed - from runlevel 3 or sddm I can shutdown
or reboot once I'm back at the tty [ failing any hacks, on a desktop
hit reset and then hit the power switch at the appropriate time ],
and from some sddm greeters, or from my keyboard in X, I can suspend.