[blfs-dev] Firefox 40 crash fixes

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 15 11:59:27 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:32:47PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> willie at tuta.io wrote:
> >Following the discussion in august 2015 there are two ways to fix Firefox 40
> >from crashing.
> >
> >The first one creates a config file to disable offmainthreadcomposition for
> >all users. Individual users can also set this is in about:config as an
> >alternative. To script this after installing firefox:
> >
> >echo -e "pref(\"general.config.obscure_value\",
> >0);\npref(\"general.config.filename\", \"mozilla.cfg\");" >
> >/usr/lib/firefox-40.0.3/defaults/pref/local-settings.js
> >echo '//
> >pref("layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled", false);
> >' > /usr/lib/firefox-40.0.3/mozilla.cfg
> >
> >The alternative might be simpler and more elegant for a new BLFS release,
> >simply disable system cairo for now, by commenting the relevant rule out in
> >mozconfig:
> >#ac_add_options --enable-system-cairo
> >
> >I'm not sure everyone is experiencing the Firefox crashes. For me, one of the
> >two changes above fix all crashes after two weeks of testing.
> >
> >Thoughts about adding one of these to the book?
>
> It sounds like it is suitable, but I have not been using FF and cannot
> confirm.
>
> Ken?  Fernando?  What do you think?
>
>   -- Bruce

I've seen a couple of crashes on my previous build (from the
beginning of the month).  On my 7.8-rc1 build it has *so far* been
solid, but I doubt that I have used firefox for more than 16 or 18
hours.  These are all with turning off the option in about:config.

At the moment, it is not enough of a problem to make me want to
disable system cairo.