[blfs-dev] A few things about biber

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 15 15:31:07 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:34:44PM +0200, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried to build biber, and I was stopped by the fact that the build
> system wants Unicode-Normalize-1.17, and that only 1.18 is there. The build
> system seems to stop if it does not find 1.17. The book tells that biber could
> use the newer version, but I have not found a way to do so (I do not know perl
> builds very well actually). Of course, I could download and install 1.17, as
> suggested in the book, but it seems to me that the book is not right in saying
> that "the new version works".

I built it at the beginning of this month (just before 7.8-rc) with
only the version of Unicode-Normalize in current perl.  My package
scripts are set to bail at the first error (except where testsuites
have given me errors in the past), and the build succeeded.

I pipe all the output to my log.  Looking at that, the only message
seems to be a one-liner about building it, twice (I guess the second
message is from running the tests).

It's impractical for me to test this on my current build (I
installed the texlive binary, to try using tlmgr, and that has a bug
in xindy which I hope to track down) - for anything else, I would
just try a build - but my script is set up to build, and test, all
the perl dependencies (including those required by the testsuites of
each module in the chain), so it is _slow_.  And that machine will
be trying to do an experimental build (just docbook, Xorg, then
another attempt to build a working qt-5.5.0 in /usr) as soon as its
current backup over nfs [ i.e. the tex binaries ] finishes.

So, for the moment I do not recognize the problem you describe.

> Also, I'd like to suggest to have the patch listed after the other additional
> downloads, but it is cosmetic...
>
> Pierre

For that part, feel free to move it.