[blfs-dev] A few things about biber

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 15 16:18:28 PDT 2015


On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:31:07PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:34:44PM +0200, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I have tried to build biber, and I was stopped by the fact that the build
> > system wants Unicode-Normalize-1.17, and that only 1.18 is there. The build
> > system seems to stop if it does not find 1.17. The book tells that biber could
> > use the newer version, but I have not found a way to do so (I do not know perl
> > builds very well actually). Of course, I could download and install 1.17, as
> > suggested in the book, but it seems to me that the book is not right in saying
> > that "the new version works".
> > 
> 
> I built it at the beginning of this month (just before 7.8-rc) with
> only the version of Unicode-Normalize in current perl.  My package
> scripts are set to bail at the first error (except where testsuites
> have given me errors in the past), and the build succeeded.
> 
> I pipe all the output to my log.  Looking at that, the only message
> seems to be a one-liner about building it, twice (I guess the second
> message is from running the tests).
> 
> It's impractical for me to test this on my current build (I
> installed the texlive binary, to try using tlmgr, and that has a bug
> in xindy which I hope to track down) - for anything else, I would
> just try a build - but my script is set up to build, and test, all
> the perl dependencies (including those required by the testsuites of
> each module in the chain), so it is _slow_.  And that machine will
> be trying to do an experimental build (just docbook, Xorg, then
> another attempt to build a working qt-5.5.0 in /usr) as soon as its
> current backup over nfs [ i.e. the tex binaries ] finishes.
> 
> So, for the moment I do not recognize the problem you describe.
> 

I'm back on that machine.  perl Build.PL took 1.063 seconds (SBU for
building pass 1 binutils again after booting was 113.217s), ended
with status 0, and reported:

Checking prerequisites...
  requires:
    !  Unicode::Normalize (1.18) is installed, but we need version
<= 1.17

ERRORS/WARNINGS FOUND IN PREREQUISITES.  You may wish to install the
versions
of the modules indicated above before proceeding with this
installation

Run 'Build installdeps' to install missing prerequisites.

Created MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
Creating new 'Build' script for 'biblatex-biber' version '2.1'

./Build took 0.451s, ended with status 0, and reported only

Building biblatex-biber

It can then complete a 'destdir' install (see the wiki page for
details, this is not conventional 'DESTDIR').

ĸen
-- 
Il Porcupino Nil Sodomy Est! (if you will excuse my latatian)
  aka "The hedgehog song"


More information about the blfs-dev mailing list