[blfs-dev] A few things about biber

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Wed Sep 16 00:54:04 PDT 2015


On 16/09/2015 01:18, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:31:07PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:34:44PM +0200, Pierre Labastie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have tried to build biber, and I was stopped by the fact that the build
>>> system wants Unicode-Normalize-1.17, and that only 1.18 is there. The build
>>> system seems to stop if it does not find 1.17. The book tells that biber could
>>> use the newer version, but I have not found a way to do so (I do not know perl
>>> builds very well actually). Of course, I could download and install 1.17, as
>>> suggested in the book, but it seems to me that the book is not right in saying
>>> that "the new version works".
>>>
>> I built it at the beginning of this month (just before 7.8-rc) with
>> only the version of Unicode-Normalize in current perl.  My package
>> scripts are set to bail at the first error (except where testsuites
>> have given me errors in the past), and the build succeeded.
>>
>> I pipe all the output to my log.  Looking at that, the only message
>> seems to be a one-liner about building it, twice (I guess the second
>> message is from running the tests).
>>
>> It's impractical for me to test this on my current build (I
>> installed the texlive binary, to try using tlmgr, and that has a bug
>> in xindy which I hope to track down) - for anything else, I would
>> just try a build - but my script is set up to build, and test, all
>> the perl dependencies (including those required by the testsuites of
>> each module in the chain), so it is _slow_.  And that machine will
>> be trying to do an experimental build (just docbook, Xorg, then
>> another attempt to build a working qt-5.5.0 in /usr) as soon as its
>> current backup over nfs [ i.e. the tex binaries ] finishes.
>>
>> So, for the moment I do not recognize the problem you describe.
>>
> I'm back on that machine.  perl Build.PL took 1.063 seconds (SBU for
> building pass 1 binutils again after booting was 113.217s), ended
> with status 0, and reported:
>
> Checking prerequisites...
>    requires:
>      !  Unicode::Normalize (1.18) is installed, but we need version
> <= 1.17
>
> ERRORS/WARNINGS FOUND IN PREREQUISITES.  You may wish to install the
> versions
> of the modules indicated above before proceeding with this
> installation
>
> Run 'Build installdeps' to install missing prerequisites.
>
> Created MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
> Creating new 'Build' script for 'biblatex-biber' version '2.1'
>
> ./Build took 0.451s, ended with status 0, and reported only
>
> Building biblatex-biber
>
> It can then complete a 'destdir' install (see the wiki page for
> details, this is not conventional 'DESTDIR').
>
> ĸen
Thanks for the detailed replies, Ken, and sorry for the noise. I had an 
error in my script, which I did not catch sight of until now. I won't 
describe it since it is a shame...

Pierre


More information about the blfs-dev mailing list