[blfs-dev] ConsoleKit problems

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Wed Sep 16 07:45:13 PDT 2015

Em 14-09-2015 23:23, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 08:37:16PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>
>> It's really common that as soon as you post a problem that you figure it
>> out.  Examining the startx script, I see that running
>>
>> $ startx -- vt7
>>
>> moves the x11-display-device back to tty7 and the session is now active and
>> all the poweroff, etc buttons are active.
>>
>> If I change ~/.xinitrc to just have
>>   xfce4-session
>>
>> it also works. It seems to inherit the session from login.
>>
>> But a plain 'startxfce4' does not.  Another thing that does not work is not
>> updating shadow or if the pam_ck_connector.so module in
>> /etc/pam.d/system-session is not used.

For me, at runlevel 3 or LXDM (runlevel 5), all work. In .xinitrc I have:

#ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxde
ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxqt
#ck-launch-session --exit-with-session --exit-with-session startxfce4
#ck-launch-session startxfce4

But I use .bash_profile:

xinit ~/.xinitrc &> ~/.x-session-errors

>> The question now is how to address this in the book.  We may have to do it
>> separately for each desktop environment.
>>
> Interesting.  Meanwhile, on my netbook (7.6) where I use the
> following in .xinitrc:
>
> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startxfce4

About the same as with me.

> I was astounded to discover that the Restart and Shut Down icons are
> _not_ greyed out (this is without PAM, I also have hacks on shutdown
> so that a user can run it from the commandline [ dangerous, but I
> trust /me ].  "Fortunately" (I did not really want to reboot), that
> gave me a box to enter my (user) password and then reported that I
> was not authorised.
>
> But I'm not terribly fussed - from runlevel 3 or sddm I can shutdown
> or reboot once I'm back at the tty [ failing any hacks, on a desktop
> hit reset and then hit the power switch at the appropriate time ],
> and from some sddm greeters, or from my keyboard in X, I can suspend.
>
> ĸen

I created a ticket for updating sddm to 0.12.0

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/6941#ticket

There, I discuss that contrarily to what i once or twice replied to you,
cannot Restart and Shut Down, from a DE session, when using sddm.

I think it is related to consolekit, because should be like:

{{{
$ ck-list-sessions
Session58:
        unix-user = '1000'
        realname = '(null)'
        seat = 'Seat1'
        session-type = ''
        active = FALSE
        x11-display = ''
        x11-display-device = ''
        display-device = '/dev/tty1'
        remote-host-name = ''
        is-local = TRUE
        on-since = '2015-09-15T22:34:37.732588Z'
        login-session-id = '83'
        idle-since-hint = '2015-09-15T22:35:07.691733Z'
Session59:
        unix-user = '1000'
        realname = '(null)'
        seat = 'Seat1'
        session-type = ''
        active = TRUE
        x11-display = ':0'
        x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
        display-device = '/dev/tty1'
        remote-host-name = ''
        is-local = TRUE
        on-since = '2015-09-15T22:34:39.956011Z'
        login-session-id = '83'
}}}

but I only get the first session above, which has

 active = FALSE

Today, before stopping for doing backups and trying to start building
7.8-rc1, will examine more closely all switches to see what I could have
before, that made sddm work fine, or if I had all the time been fooled.

Fernando