[blfs-dev] ConsoleKit problems

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 16 11:40:58 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:45:13AM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> I created a ticket for updating sddm to 0.12.0

I _thought_ I had already tagged sddm for 7.8, but I've been doing
the tags in stages (and deferring some things until I'm sure that
they work, or that whatever other package they allow me to build
works), and sddm is right at the end of my build.

Whatever, with my own theme it all works : shutdown, reboot (as you
told me, the shutdown messages are all on tty7 - upowerd still
brings up a red FAIL but all is well), and suspend.  I've just
rechecked all of those.

> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/6941#ticket
>
> There, I discuss that contrarily to what i once or twice replied to you,
> cannot Restart and Shut Down, from a DE session, when using sddm.

A pedantic question : this is specifically for options in the
desktop, not in sddm ?  As I said to Bruce, on my recent build of
xfce they do not work.  On icewm I do not expect them to work.  On
plasma (kde5) the 'Leave' menu only offers me Log Out and Lock, and
I see that startkde is NOT running ConsoleKit.

> I think it is related to consolekit, because should be like:
>

> {{{
> $ ck-list-sessions
> Session58:
>         unix-user = '1000'
>         realname = '(null)'
>         seat = 'Seat1'
>         session-type = ''
>         active = FALSE
>         x11-display = ''
>         x11-display-device = ''
>         display-device = '/dev/tty1'
>         remote-host-name = ''
>         is-local = TRUE
>         on-since = '2015-09-15T22:34:37.732588Z'
>         login-session-id = '83'
>         idle-since-hint = '2015-09-15T22:35:07.691733Z'
> Session59:
>         unix-user = '1000'
>         realname = '(null)'
>         seat = 'Seat1'
>         session-type = ''
>         active = TRUE
>         x11-display = ':0'
>         x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
>         display-device = '/dev/tty1'
>         remote-host-name = ''
>         is-local = TRUE
>         on-since = '2015-09-15T22:34:39.956011Z'
>         login-session-id = '83'
> }}}
>
> but I only get the first session above, which has
>
>  active = FALSE
>
> Today, before stopping for doing backups and trying to start building
> 7.8-rc1, will examine more closely all switches to see what I could have
> before, that made sddm work fine, or if I had all the time been fooled.

off or reboot when exiting a DE (probably requires PAM), and options
within sddm.

I am still inclined to tag sddm, and to move your new ticket for
sddm-0.12 to '7.9'.

For sddm, I have just rechecked my own scripts (at one time, on
other boxes, I was playing with pkla files) and apart from creating
an icewm-session.desktop file so that I have icewm available, and
fixing up sddm.conf for plasma in /opt, I do nothing which is not
already in the book for sddm.