[blfs-dev] ConsoleKit problems

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:32:58 PDT 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:

> off or reboot when exiting a DE (probably requires PAM), and options
> within sddm.

There are also options for suspend/hibernate, but they require kernel
support.  I will be updating pm-utils today to document that.

As far as power off and reboot, let me document what I know so far.

Window managers: twm, fluxbox, iceWM, openbox, sawfish
   -- None of these has anything except exit/logoff

Desktop environments:

kde4
plasma5
xfce
lxde
LXQt

The only one I've really investigated so far is xfce from startx
(runlevel 3).  There, the problem is that it needs consolekit and that
uses pam to start a session from login.  Using that, do NOT use
ck-launch-session.  It might work without PAM if you DO use
ck-launch-session, but I can't check that without removing PAM and that
would be error prone.

I'm not sure if ssh-askpass gets involved here or not.

I will try to test sddm with xfce today and see if I can get that
working properly.

I will then build lxde and LXQt because they should be fairly quick and
test them out.  Then I'll tackle kf5/plasma5. Last will be kde4.

Overall, this has been a difficult release cycle.  First we were late
getting started due to waiting for an upstream release.  Then we are
running into this complex permissions stuff.  I hope to finish up by the
first of October.  We should be able to make that.