[blfs-dev] ConsoleKit problems

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 16 18:13:10 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 07:15:07PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 16-09-2015 15:40, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:45:13AM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> > rechecked all of those.
> >
> >> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/6941#ticket
> >>
> >> There, I discuss that contrarily to what i once or twice replied to you,
> >> cannot Restart and Shut Down, from a DE session, when using sddm.
> >>

> > A pedantic question : this is specifically for options in the
> > desktop, not in sddm ?
>
> Yes. Now, I believe that with a modification, sddm won't need upowerd in
> the bootscript to make the greeting shutdown and reboot work. But I am
> so worried with the other problem, that I I always checked that quickly:
>
> https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/x11-misc/sddm/files/sddm-0.10.0-upower.patch?revision=1.1&view=markup
>
>     sed -e '/UPOWER_SERVICE)/ s:^://:' \
>         -i.orig src/daemon/PowerManager.cpp

It seems likely that upowerd should only only be needed for suspend
and hibernate, and therefore the sed might be useful to some people,
but for me the current instructions for sddm work.

> > As I said to Bruce, on my recent build of
> > xfce they do not work.  On icewm I do not expect them to work.  On
> > plasma (kde5) the 'Leave' menu only offers me Log Out and Lock, and
> > I see that startkde is NOT running ConsoleKit.
>
> Yes, but you also said, they work, from runlevel 3 starting with
> .xinitrc, or my memory is worse than I thought?

For xfce, my comment yesterday about a dialog to enter my password
was specifically for my netbook, which is running BLFS-7.6 with
whichever version of xfce was in that book.

For ConsoleKit from xinitrc, I have used it - but all of my current
completed builds are using sddm - one (from June, so getting a bit
long in the tooth) has sddm -> icewm, plasma5, lxqt.  Another, from
the beginning of this month, has sddm -> icewm, xfce.  The third
(7.8-rc1) has sddm -> icewm, plasma5.

In none of these can I logout directly from the desktop, I presume
that PAM is probably needed.

> >> I think it is related to consolekit, because should be like:
> >>

> It is: for sddm, there is no such a thing named consolekit.

> > off or reboot when exiting a DE (probably requires PAM), and options
> > within sddm.
>
> Yes.
>

> > I am still inclined to tag sddm, and to move your new ticket for
> > sddm-0.12 to '7.9'.
>
> I am almost inclined to: closing that ticket as wontfix and removing
> sddm from BLFS. Will explain below.
>
> Before that, Bruce and I tarted discussing xfce, then after a while,
> sddm started appearing in the discussion. Part of the discussion is the
> beginning of this thread.
>

> > For sddm, I have just rechecked my own scripts (at one time, on
> > other boxes, I was playing with pkla files) and apart from creating
> > an icewm-session.desktop file so that I have icewm available, and
> > fixing up sddm.conf for plasma in /opt, I do nothing which is not
> > already in the book for sddm.
> >
> > ĸen
> >

> First unfortunate thing I discovered today, about six hours ago: sddm
> ignores the existence of consolekit. That is the reason that I also
> included:
>
> https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/x11-misc/sddm/files/sddm-0.10.0-consolekit.patch?revision=1.1&view=markup
>     sed -e 's/eval exec/& ck-launch-session /' \
>         -i.orig data/scripts/Xsession
>
> But it doesn't seem to be working. I even reduced the
>
> /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsession
>
> script to
>
> {{{
> session=$1
> . /etc/profile
> eval exec ck-launch-session "$session"
> }}}
>
> and cannot understand why it doesn't do the same as .xinitrc does with:
>
> ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session "$session".
>
> But the reason that consolekit is no in the software is that the greats
> jleclanche and plfiorini consider it deprecated:
>
> {{{
>  jleclanche commented May 26, 2014
>
> ConsoleKit is very deprecated. Those distros/OSes that do not use
> systemd have started moving to logind APIs anyway. Yeah, ubuntu uses logind.
>
> -1 from me. I guess if there is a PR that cleanly adds it, disabled by
> default at compile time, that'll become a -0.
> }}}
>
> This is in issue "Add native ConsoleKit support #173"
>
> at
>
> https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/173
>
> Anyway, I did a new modification in the scripts and will try them,
> before replying Bruce's post. next time online will do it.
>
> What i understand is that sddm has evolved to be systemd dependent, so,
> we should remove it from BLFS.

As I said, it works for me - modulo any desktop environment which
needs something from ConsoleKit.  There has been so much discussion
that I forget many of the details.

The only part of sddm which does not work for me is testing a theme,
I just get a white window.

> On the other hand, version 0.12.0 has included support for consolekit2.

Consolekit2 might be worth looking at for 7.9, I think there is an
open ticket.  The problem is finding something which requires
ConsoleKit and can demonstrably benefit from it (i.e. it allows
somebody to do something specific).

> Anyways, ate least for 7.8, if we don't solve quickly, it should not appear.

I repeat that for me sddm works - at the greeter I can login, power
off, reboot, and also suspend where the theme permits that.  I do
not recall ever having a working power off / reboot option when
exiting a WM or DE in runlevel 3 - possibly it worked once, many
years ago, but if it did then I must have found it so inconvenient
that I never tried it again.

> One more thought.
>
> Why this stuff worked for me and suddenly stopped?
>
> Packages related that have benn updated are (IIRC) LinuxPam and D-Bus.
> Something definitely changed.

As you know, I avoid PAM.  For D-Bus, my latest build has the
current version and sddm works as on the other two machines.