[blfs-dev] ConsoleKit problems

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 16 18:19:55 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 08:38:08PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 16-09-2015 19:29, Fernando de Oliveira escreveu:
> > Will reply later, although part is already replied.
> >
> > Em 16-09-2015 18:50, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> >
> >> I have no idea how to get kitten pictures for users in maui (see the
> >> jpg in the theme), nor how to change its user images at all, so I
> >> hope that somebody will work that out and put it in the wiki.
> >
> > {{{
> > $ ls /usr/share/sddm/faces
> > default.face.icon  fernando.face.icon  README  root.face.icon
> > }}}
> >
> > Just use <user>.face.icon.
> >
> > Read the README. Perhaps you want to add some lines in the book.

I think I read it the first time I tried it, but at that time there
were a lot of problems and I quickly found that changing the theme
let me avoid that ugliness.

> > {{{
> > $ file *.icon
> > default.face.icon:  PNG image data, 62 x 63, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
> > fernando.face.icon: PNG image data, 96 x 96, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
> > root.face.icon:     PNG image data, 62 x 63, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
> > }}}
>
> First, apologies for forgetting to cut the rest of the message.
>
> No progress. Another day almost week lost, and sddm does not work to do
> what it should. Gives only part of the DE. Runlevel 3 or LXDM give
> everything. In practical terms, sddm is an unhealthy lxdm.
>
> I am starting to think oabout if it could be possible to replaced it by
> lightdm or something else, if we recognize that sddm i useful only for
> the systemd book.

Whatever happens, for the moment I will continue to use it as the
best of a bad world (for available DMs).  I used to use gdm, but
that required too much of gnome even in the latter gnome-2 days.  I
tried slim and hated it.  I had lxdm working on one machine in 7.6
(I think it was 7.6), but I dound it messy to get working, and when
I trid on a newer build I could no longer get it to work.

> I am too frustrated with sddm. Sorry for not replying the other posts
> today. Going to bed.
>
> This stuff is making me incapacitated.

When you have slept, can you please clarify what works in runlevel 3
and with other DMs you have mentioned, with ConsoleKit and PAM, but
does not work with sddm ?