[blfs-dev] install-tl-unx breakage

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 17 01:13:05 PDT 2015

I've just found out why my xindy tests were failing :-(

The texlive binary needs non-wide ncurses for some things, primarily
xindy.  Ncurses had been stuck at 5.x versions for so long that I
parsed that as non-wide ncurses.so instead of non-wide ncurses.so.5*

Now that we are on ncurses6, the xindy binary breaks.  In the past,
it was easy enough to point to the LFS book.  But now that LFS has
moved to ncurses6, we need ncurses-5.9 and the gcc5_buildfixes-1
patch.

The build is quite straightforward:

 ./configure --prefix=/usr  --with-shared \
  --without-normal --without-debug --without-cxx-binding

 make sources libs

 cp -av lib/lib*.so.5* /usr/lib

But I cannot see any alternative to adding this to blfs _somewhere_,
called ??? (I'd really like to put the non-wide and '5' into the
title, rather than ncurses-5.9.0, but not sure if that is
practical), with a note that this is only for binary packages such
as install-tl-unx which need a non-wide .so.5.

I can't do anything at the moment (need to get to bed, it's been a
long night :) so there is a bit of time for alternative suggestions.
Thanks.