[blfs-dev] ConsoleKit problems

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Thu Sep 17 06:08:03 PDT 2015

I've been working for three and a half hour, still, no progress. I think
I will simply forget sddm.

Em 16-09-2015 22:19, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 08:38:08PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>> Em 16-09-2015 19:29, Fernando de Oliveira escreveu:
>>> Will reply later, although part is already replied.

>>> {{{
>>> $ ls /usr/share/sddm/faces
>>> default.face.icon  fernando.face.icon  README  root.face.icon
>>> }}}
>>>
>>> Just use <user>.face.icon.
>>>
>>> Read the README. Perhaps you want to add some lines in the book.
>
> I think I read it the first time I tried it, but at that time there
> were a lot of problems and I quickly found that changing the theme
> let me avoid that ugliness.

I had understood that this was part of your question. Sorry for having
replied.

>>> {{{
>>> $ file *.icon
>>> default.face.icon:  PNG image data, 62 x 63, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
>>> fernando.face.icon: PNG image data, 96 x 96, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
>>> root.face.icon:     PNG image data, 62 x 63, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
>>> }}}
>>
>> First, apologies for forgetting to cut the rest of the message.
>>
>> No progress. Another day almost week lost, and sddm does not work to do
>> what it should. Gives only part of the DE. Runlevel 3 or LXDM give
>> everything. In practical terms, sddm is an unhealthy lxdm.
>>
>> I am starting to think oabout if it could be possible to replaced it by
>> lightdm or something else, if we recognize that sddm i useful only for
>> the systemd book.
>>

> Whatever happens, for the moment I will continue to use it as the
> best of a bad world (for available DMs).  I used to use gdm, but
> that required too much of gnome even in the latter gnome-2 days.  I
> tried slim and hated it.  I had lxdm working on one machine in 7.6
> (I think it was 7.6), but I dound it messy to get working, and when
> I trid on a newer build I could no longer get it to work.

LXDM is messy to get working SDDM not. This has really impressed me.

>> I am too frustrated with sddm. Sorry for not replying the other posts
>> today. Going to bed.
>>
>> This stuff is making me incapacitated.
>>

> When you have slept, can you please clarify what works in runlevel 3
> and with other DMs you have mentioned, with ConsoleKit and PAM, but
> does not work with sddm ?
>
> ĸen

1. Start Desktop Environment session from Runlevel 3

$ head -n3 /etc/inittab
# Begin /etc/inittab

id:3:initdefault:

I have in ~/.bash_profile:

xinit ~/.xinitrc &> ~/.x-session-errors

I have in ~/.xinitrc:

#ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxde
ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startlxqt
#ck-launch-session startxfce4

Uncomment the one I want.

At runlevel 3, I get the console login prompt. After login, I have
automatically a DE session.

To leave a DE session, either exit, reboot, shutdown, suspend,
hibernate. All but hibernate tested and working.

2. Start Desktop Environment session using LXDM

I can logout at 1. and start lxdm form the bootscript. Also checked
modifying /etc/inittab to "id:5:initdefault:".

Either way, again, for all sessions above, exit from the session can be
done as in Runlevel 3.

3. Start Desktop Environment session using SDDM

Only option to exit the Desktop Environment session is logout.

If you think that clicking in reboot, shutdown or suspend and nothing
happening is correct (in lxqt), then no need for discussing anymore.

For xfce, in 1. and 2. above, I have all buttons working, but only one
is not greyed out here: logout (or equivalent)

For lxde, I have all lines in the exit dialogue, for 1. and 2. But four
are missing , when started using sddm. Guess wich ones?

Actually, I am so frustrated with this sddm, that I am sopping working
for today. Back only tomorrow.

I thought to give images for the options appearing in xfce and lxde, but
perhaps what I wrote is clear enough?

Sorry for the sarcasm, I like discussing with you, but this sddm has
made me sick, very very sick.

See you tomorrow.

Fernando