[blfs-dev] install-tl-unx breakage

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 17 11:21:30 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:56:31AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >I've just found out why my xindy tests were failing :-(
> >
> >The texlive binary needs non-wide ncurses for some things, primarily
> >xindy.  Ncurses had been stuck at 5.x versions for so long that I
> >parsed that as non-wide ncurses.so instead of non-wide ncurses.so.5*
> >
> >Now that we are on ncurses6, the xindy binary breaks.  In the past,
> >it was easy enough to point to the LFS book.  But now that LFS has
> >moved to ncurses6, we need ncurses-5.9 and the gcc5_buildfixes-1
> >patch.
> >
> >The build is quite straightforward:
> >
> >  ./configure --prefix=/usr  --with-shared \
> >   --without-normal --without-debug --without-cxx-binding
> >
> >  make sources libs
> >
> >  cp -av lib/lib*.so.5* /usr/lib
> >
> >But I cannot see any alternative to adding this to blfs _somewhere_,
> >called ??? (I'd really like to put the non-wide and '5' into the
> >title, rather than ncurses-5.9.0, but not sure if that is
> >practical), with a note that this is only for binary packages such
> >as install-tl-unx which need a non-wide .so.5.
>
> Since it is specific to install-tl-unx, then I'd like to see it embedded in
> that section or in a separate section just prior to
> install-tl-unx.
>
>   -- Bruce

I had a further thought : please take a look at the Note in LFS
chroot ncurses (at the bottom of the the Installation part).

In future, binary software linked to libncurses.so.6 might appear.
But for the moment the requirement will always be for .so.5 so LFS
is in practice wrong.

Therefore, non-wide ncurses 5 needs to be referenced from LFS,
unless we are going to restrict choice.  I suggest that 'genlib' is
the proper place, with a Note that this page is only required for
running binary software that uses libncurses.so.5.