[blfs-dev] sddm

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Fri Sep 18 10:41:11 PDT 2015

Em 18-09-2015 11:56, Fernando de Oliveira escreveu:
> Em 18-09-2015 07:01, Fernando de Oliveira escreveu:

>>> In principle, yes.  I say "in principle" because I don't think any
>>> of the packages are things I'm likely to build in hte near future:
>>>
>>> lxdm
>>> sddm - you have now tested
>>> lxqt-common / post-install
>>> xfce4-session - you have now tested
>>> kde(4)-workspace
>>> networkmanager - I treated it as a build dep for plasma, I'm
>>> unlikely to rebuild it any time soon (just done another build with
>>> old CK)
>>> pulseaudio
>>> lxde-common
>>> gparted
>>>
>>> ĸen
>>>

>> Thanks, Ken and Bruce for discussions and solving the nightmare.
>>
>> I took the liberty to modify the related tickets accordingly. If other
>> modifications there are need, please, do it, if you don't mind
>>
>> Will try to double check here.
>>

> After some modifications, I got it working.
>
> 1. Consolekit2
>
> This was written at 10:45 BRT, more than 1 hour ago, and I had to some
> modifications, and need still one. Will come back soon.

First, I'd like to clarify that all my concern was with the book and
users. I was not using a DM and will get this host back to have runlevel
3 as default. I don't like PAM, consolekit, Openbox with a good panel is
enough for me. I am using much more than I wanted, for the BLFS
development sake. many of these minimalistic preferences were dictated
when I barely could build LFS. Others, Ken, DJ, Andy and last but not
least, Bruce convinced me how useless they really are. This was years
ago, although i still modify some preferences, after their examples.

OK. I will describe all I can remember. Some are minor things forgotten,
other are important and required, other are important, but optional.

1. Consolekit2

If I had had the courage to install consolekit2, when I tested
sddm-0.12.0, would not have discussed so much nor wasted so many days
from us all.     :-(

I tested sddm-0.12.0, last week

There is one line to be removed before autogen.sh.

There is no autogen.sh:

s/sh autogen.sh/./configure/

One directory is missing: /var/run/ConsoleKit

>From here on, now Consolekit2 and new sddm are installed:

09/18/15 08:50  consolekit2-1.0.0
06/15/15 11:51  lxsession-0.5.2
09/18/15 09:45  lxsession-0.5.2-2
09/18/15 13:10  sddm-0.12.0

2. SDDM-0.12.0

2.1

It didn't work as Bruce described, with no greyed option in the xfce4
logout.

Tried LXDE:

$ cat sddm-lxde-consolekit-error.log
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to
lookup session information for process '7367'

After reinstalling lxsession (see above) and getting the same error,
concluded that the problem, although consolekit2 releated, should be in
sddm. (again).

And the reason is very simple: sddm now works with consolekit, but the
session needs to launched with it:

If I don't mention, the following must be done before "make build".

 # Start session with consolekit2 - this is required or at least
 # recommended

    sed -e 's/eval exec/& ck-launch-session /' \
        -i data/scripts/Xsession &&

2.2

Then, I had already mentioned that there was a fix to remove wpowerd
from the bootscript.

Actually, I never liked that, because from the manpage:

{{{
DESCRIPTION
       upowerd provides the org.freedesktop.UPower service on the system
       message bus. *Users or administrators should never need to start*
       this daemon as it will be automatically started by dbus-daemon(1)
       whenever an application calls into the org.freedesktop.UPower
       service.
}}}

    # Start greeter with upowerd, without the need to
    # start it in bootscript - Required
    sed -e '/UPOWER_SERVICE)/ s:^://:' \
        -i.orig src/daemon/PowerManager.cpp &&

This implies, that the bootscript needs to be modified, to refer just to
sddm (first form released).

2.3 Optional:

    # Remove "-nolisten tcp"
    # DAEMON: Running: /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/sddm/:0 -nolisten
    # tcp -background none -noreset vt7
    # https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/325 and Numlock on as default.
    # Set numlock on by default.
    sed -e 's|-nolisten tcp||'\
        -e 's/\"none\"/\"on\"/' \
        -i.orig data/man/sddm.conf.rst.in &&
    sed -e 's|-nolisten tcp||'\
        -e 's/  NUM_NONE/  NUM_SET_ON/' \
        -i src/common/Configuration.h &&

nolisten tcp apparently prevents ssh -X connections.

If you wish default off, replace \"on\" by \"off\" and NUM_SET_ON by
NUM_SET_OFF. As is, it defaults to do nothing.

2.4 Optional

    # Start greeter with desired locales
    sed -e '/Xsetup/ a setxkbmap "fr,gb,br,us"' \
        -i.orig data/scripts/Xsetup &&

or any other list or one only locale, suitable for the user.

2.5 Required: Add switch to cmake

    -DDBUS_CONFIG_FILENAME=sddm_org.freedesktop.DisplayManager.conf

Reason is that other display managers use
org.freedesktop.DisplayManager.conf

I think that is all.
Fernando