[blfs-dev] sddm

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:05:04 PDT 2015

Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> First, I'd like to clarify that all my concern was with the book and
> users. I was not using a DM and will get this host back to have runlevel
> 3 as default. I don't like PAM, consolekit, Openbox with a good panel is
> enough for me. I am using much more than I wanted, for the BLFS
> development sake. many of these minimalistic preferences were dictated
> when I barely could build LFS. Others, Ken, DJ, Andy and last but not
> least, Bruce convinced me how useless they really are. This was years
> ago, although i still modify some preferences, after their examples.

Agree.  We are doing this for the book and not for us personally.

> OK. I will describe all I can remember. Some are minor things forgotten,
> other are important and required, other are important, but optional.
>
> 1. Consolekit2
>
> If I had had the courage to install consolekit2, when I tested
> sddm-0.12.0, would not have discussed so much nor wasted so many days
> from us all.     :-(
>
> I tested sddm-0.12.0, last week
>
> There is one line to be removed before autogen.sh.
>
> There is no autogen.sh:
>
> s/sh autogen.sh/./configure/

Yes, you are right.  Can you fix it please.  There was a bz2 version and
a gz version.  The gz version needed autogen.sh and at the last minute I
changed the book to the bz2 version.

> One directory is missing: /var/run/ConsoleKit

Good spot.

>  From here on, now Consolekit2 and new sddm are installed:
>
> 09/18/15 08:50  consolekit2-1.0.0
> 06/15/15 11:51  lxsession-0.5.2
> 09/18/15 09:45  lxsession-0.5.2-2
> 09/18/15 13:10  sddm-0.12.0
>
> 2. SDDM-0.12.0
>
> 2.1
>
> It didn't work as Bruce described, with no greyed option in the xfce4
> logout.
>
> Tried LXDE:
>
> $ cat sddm-lxde-consolekit-error.log
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to
> lookup session information for process '7367'
>
> After reinstalling lxsession (see above) and getting the same error,
> concluded that the problem, although consolekit2 releated, should be in
> sddm. (again).
>
> And the reason is very simple: sddm now works with consolekit, but the
> session needs to launched with it:
>
> If I don't mention, the following must be done before "make build".
>
>   # Start session with consolekit2 - this is required or at least
>   # recommended
>
>      sed -e 's/eval exec/& ck-launch-session /' \
>          -i data/scripts/Xsession &&
>
> 2.2
>
> Then, I had already mentioned that there was a fix to remove wpowerd
> from the bootscript.
>
> Actually, I never liked that, because from the manpage:
>
> {{{
> DESCRIPTION
>         upowerd provides the org.freedesktop.UPower service on the system
>         message bus. *Users or administrators should never need to start*
>         this daemon as it will be automatically started by dbus-daemon(1)
>         whenever an application calls into the org.freedesktop.UPower
>         service.
> }}}
>
>      # Start greeter with upowerd, without the need to
>      # start it in bootscript - Required
>      sed -e '/UPOWER_SERVICE)/ s:^://:' \
>          -i.orig src/daemon/PowerManager.cpp &&
>
> This implies, that the bootscript needs to be modified, to refer just to
> sddm (first form released).
>
> 2.3 Optional:
>
>      # Remove "-nolisten tcp"
>      # DAEMON: Running: /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/sddm/:0 -nolisten
>      # tcp -background none -noreset vt7
>      # https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/325 and Numlock on as default.
>      # Set numlock on by default.
>      sed -e 's|-nolisten tcp||'\
>          -e 's/\"none\"/\"on\"/' \
>          -i.orig data/man/sddm.conf.rst.in &&
>      sed -e 's|-nolisten tcp||'\
>          -e 's/  NUM_NONE/  NUM_SET_ON/' \
>          -i src/common/Configuration.h &&
>
> nolisten tcp apparently prevents ssh -X connections.

That's just for remote connection to Xorg, not a simple ssh connection.
  sshd needs to find xauth at login to allow a typical X application
like xclock to work.

In the ssh serve config, /etc/ssh/sshd_config, I have the line

XAuthLocation /opt/xorg/bin/xauth

Of course that's not needed if Xorg is installed in /usr.

> If you wish default off, replace \"on\" by \"off\" and NUM_SET_ON by
> NUM_SET_OFF. As is, it defaults to do nothing.
>
> 2.4 Optional
>
>      # Start greeter with desired locales
>      sed -e '/Xsetup/ a setxkbmap "fr,gb,br,us"' \
>          -i.orig data/scripts/Xsetup &&
>
> or any other list or one only locale, suitable for the user.
>
> 2.5 Required: Add switch to cmake
>
>      -DDBUS_CONFIG_FILENAME=sddm_org.freedesktop.DisplayManager.conf
>
> Reason is that other display managers use
> org.freedesktop.DisplayManager.conf
>
> I think that is all.

Go ahead and make any changes you think are appropriate.  I'm going to
tag lxde with a minor change to the Starting LXDE section as I said in
another post.