[blfs-dev] sddm

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 19 05:02:49 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 02:41:11PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> 2.4 Optional
>
>     # Start greeter with desired locales
>     sed -e '/Xsetup/ a setxkbmap "fr,gb,br,us"' \
>         -i.orig data/scripts/Xsetup &&
>
> or any other list or one only locale, suitable for the user.

Fernando,

this part still leaves me baffled.  I can understand that forcing
locales like this may change the flag and the keymap (for those
themes which apparently allow you to change the keymap), and so for
the sake of the flag I suppose that setting one locale may be
worthwhile.

But -

1. I assume that everybody who uses X in BLFS with a non-US
keyboard already sets up a conf file to force the correct map (and if
they want to use an extension, or a complete redesign such as
Dvorak, the keymap they specified will be what currently gets used
by the greeter ?

2. If you change the map in the greeter, I assume that only applies
to the greeter, and not to the session it launches ?

I can understand that you wish to be able to login with a pt-BR and
a US keymap, but I think that multiple options 'fr,gb,br,us' will
cause confusion - I suppose that a skilled and experienced French
user might be able to type (blind, for the password) on a QWERTY
keyboard, but AZERTY is so different that many people used to QWERTY
will have difficulty.  Conversely, allowing me to choose between US
and GB would be a real aggravation - most main keys are identical,
but one (\|) does not get mapped in US layouts and some symbols and
signs (which might get used in passwords) are in different places.

But perhaps I have understood how it all fits together.