[blfs-dev] sddm

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Sat Sep 19 10:26:58 PDT 2015

Em 19-09-2015 09:02, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 02:41:11PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>>
>> 2.4 Optional
>>
>>     # Start greeter with desired locales
>>     sed -e '/Xsetup/ a setxkbmap "fr,gb,br,us"' \
>>         -i.orig data/scripts/Xsetup &&
>>
>> or any other list or one only locale, suitable for the user.
>>
> Fernando,
>
> this part still leaves me baffled.  I can understand that forcing
> locales like this may change the flag and the keymap (for those
> themes which apparently allow you to change the keymap), and so for
> the sake of the flag I suppose that setting one locale may be
> worthwhile.
>
> But -
>
> 1. I assume that everybody who uses X in BLFS with a non-US
> keyboard already sets up a conf file to force the correct map (and if
> they want to use an extension, or a complete redesign such as
> Dvorak, the keymap they specified will be what currently gets used
> by the greeter ?

Sorry, no idea.

> 2. If you change the map in the greeter, I assume that only applies
> to the greeter, and not to the session it launches ?

Also, don't know.

> I can understand that you wish to be able to login with a pt-BR and
> a US keymap, but I think that multiple options 'fr,gb,br,us' will
> cause confusion - I suppose that a skilled and experienced French
> user might be able to type (blind, for the password) on a QWERTY
> keyboard, but AZERTY is so different that many people used to QWERTY
> will have difficulty.  Conversely, allowing me to choose between US
> and GB would be a real aggravation - most main keys are identical,
> but one (\|) does not get mapped in US layouts and some symbols and
> signs (which might get used in passwords) are in different places.
>
> But perhaps I have understood how it all fits together.
>
> ĸen

I've been searching for a solution. There are discussions at

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues

and this seems to be open. Every time I start searching for this, I try
the same workarounds and the only one working is that one you listed.

It bothers me having question marks in the greeter. If it doesn't bother
the user (I refer really in general), then, no problem, because aI
always get to the same page and each time, I catch some new info
unnoticed before.

The page is

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202

which corresponds to

"Keyboard layout not detected. · Issue #202 · sddm/sddm · GitHub:"

Particularly today, I have two news:

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202#issuecomment-133628462

{{{
it always returns "us" layout on startup, but as soon as any key is
pressed then XCB_XKB_NEW_KEYBOARD_NOTIFY event will be issued and then
it will return correct layout.

Probably need to report it upstream to them as only workaround could be
to somehow fake a key press...
}}}

Although I don't get us, but double question marks, this confirms what
you once said: starting to type the password, brings the right keyboard.

A bad thing that these systemd fans (they are) have adopted is that the
problem is always the other part, this case upstream, not theirs.
However, if that was (or were?) true, all applications would suffer
somehow, not only them.

Notice that this issue was created on Jun 24, 2014.

Finally, now, it is possible we will have sddm-0.13.0 fixed:

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202#event-357614316

and

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202#event-387850470

{{{
jleclanche added i18n enhancement labels Jul 16, 2015
@plfiorini plfiorini modified the milestone: post-0.12, 0.12 Aug 20, 2015
}}}

Those are the main devs, who think that consolekit is deprecated and
logind (is it right?) from systemd (is it right?) is perfect. And IIRC,
complained when somebody suggested to include support for consolekit2.

What do you suggest to be done?

Fernando, soon to be called Sisyphus