[blfs-dev] sddm

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 19 13:51:34 PDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 02:26:58PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 19-09-2015 09:02, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> > On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 02:41:11PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

[ keeping all of htis for context ]
> >> 2.4 Optional
> >>
> >>     # Start greeter with desired locales
> >>     sed -e '/Xsetup/ a setxkbmap "fr,gb,br,us"' \
> >>         -i.orig data/scripts/Xsetup &&
> >>
> >> or any other list or one only locale, suitable for the user.
> >>
> > Fernando,
> >
> > this part still leaves me baffled.  I can understand that forcing
> > locales like this may change the flag and the keymap (for those
> > themes which apparently allow you to change the keymap), and so for
> > the sake of the flag I suppose that setting one locale may be
> > worthwhile.
> >
> > But -
> >
> > 1. I assume that everybody who uses X in BLFS with a non-US
> > keyboard already sets up a conf file to force the correct map (and if
> > they want to use an extension, or a complete redesign such as
> > Dvorak, the keymap they specified will be what currently gets used
> > by the greeter ?
>
> Sorry, no idea.

I've just reminded myself how to change groups in my X keymap
(default gb-based is {,re-}enabled with left control and left win,
alternative cyrillic-based is enabled with right control and menu).
After logging out [ sddm-0.11 ] I re-entered my password, then went
back to the user field, changed to my cyrillic group, typed a couple
of characters to confirm they were cyrillic, deleted them, and
entered.  In xfce my keyboard was now in cyrillic mode.

So, I think what I overlooked was that the keymap is not
per-application.  If you have US and BR, and changing to BR means
that when you get to your desktop environment the keyboard is now
set for pt_BR then setting the locales is beneficial (or vice versa
if it defaults to BR).

> > 2. If you change the map in the greeter, I assume that only applies
> > to the greeter, and not to the session it launches ?
>
> Also, don't know.

I think I've just disproved that assumption.

> > I can understand that you wish to be able to login with a pt-BR and
> > a US keymap, but I think that multiple options 'fr,gb,br,us' will
> > cause confusion - I suppose that a skilled and experienced French
> > user might be able to type (blind, for the password) on a QWERTY
> > keyboard, but AZERTY is so different that many people used to QWERTY
> > will have difficulty.  Conversely, allowing me to choose between US
> > and GB would be a real aggravation - most main keys are identical,
> > but one (\|) does not get mapped in US layouts and some symbols and
> > signs (which might get used in passwords) are in different places.
> >
> > But perhaps I have understood how it all fits together.

That should have been 'not understood': as usual I missed out a word
and again as usual I did not / do not understand all the details.
<sigh/> Sometimes all I do here is show my ignorance.

> I've been searching for a solution. There are discussions at
>
> https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues
>
> and this seems to be open. Every time I start searching for this, I try
> the same workarounds and the only one working is that one you listed.
>
> It bothers me having question marks in the greeter. If it doesn't bother
> the user (I refer really in general), then, no problem, because aI
> always get to the same page and each time, I catch some new info
> unnoticed before.
>
> The page is
>
> https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202
>
> which corresponds to
>
> "Keyboard layout not detected. · Issue #202 · sddm/sddm · GitHub:"
>
> Particularly today, I have two news:
>
> https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202#issuecomment-133628462
>
> {{{
> it always returns "us" layout on startup, but as soon as any key is
> pressed then XCB_XKB_NEW_KEYBOARD_NOTIFY event will be issued and then
> it will return correct layout.
>
> Probably need to report it upstream to them as only workaround could be
> to somehow fake a key press...
> }}}
>
> Although I don't get us, but double question marks, this confirms what
> you once said: starting to type the password, brings the right keyboard.
>
> A bad thing that these systemd fans (they are) have adopted is that the
> problem is always the other part, this case upstream, not theirs.
> However, if that was (or were?) true, all applications would suffer
> somehow, not only them.
>
> Notice that this issue was created on Jun 24, 2014.
>
> Finally, now, it is possible we will have sddm-0.13.0 fixed:
>
> https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202#event-357614316
>
> and
>
> https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202#event-387850470
>
> {{{
> jleclanche added i18n enhancement labels Jul 16, 2015
> @plfiorini plfiorini modified the milestone: post-0.12, 0.12 Aug 20, 2015
> }}}
>
> Those are the main devs, who think that consolekit is deprecated and
> logind (is it right?) from systemd (is it right?) is perfect. And IIRC,
> complained when somebody suggested to include support for consolekit2.
>
> What do you suggest to be done?

Thanks for the detail - short answer : I'll go with what is now in
the book.

I am well known for lacking appreciation of icons, in general.  If
it gets rid of the problems with the flag, I might even try setting
up face icons the way you pointed out, and retry the default theme.

At the moment, I have not yet started my build on this desktop
machine, I've been adding an optional script for Linux-PAM (and
consequential changes to create config files).

So, I'm now satisfied that setting locale(s) does have some benefit.
Thanks for your detailed reply.